Planning DIY Algae Turf Scrubber tank

felixfish

newbie reefer
I have recently been planning a 30 gal sump tank to add an Algae turf scrubber. I want to ask if anyone has any opinions on to help me make this an easy install. My questions I have are there is a 1/2" outlet on my Mag 7 pump I purchased. Should I run a 3/4" PVC piping back to the tank, or should I go up to 1"? The pics are a side view of the tank, cutting threw the wall to and from the sump Should I add Live rock rubble to minize splashing? Also I was thinking to use braided tubing off the pumps, but will probably look for some screw to pipe converter to them. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• sump idea 1.jpg
    sump idea 1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 3,634
  • sump 2 Jpeg.JPG
    sump 2 Jpeg.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 9,463
  • side view of ATF.JPG
    side view of ATF.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 2,797
Well took the Lowe's trip today and I am going to use 1" piping to and from the DT to the sump tank. Also will be using 3/4" tubing for the construction of the Algae scrubber. Now to maximize on space am going to finagle the turf scrubber sideways to fit both reflector lights into the tank. I've gotta do some more research on the bubble trap, picked to a few sheets of glass to make it fit.

You could have a better one if you just used your overflow plumbing for your scrubber. Your return pump has more flow. So it would take one less pump.

I did think of that but I was worried about if that line clogging up. Here is a revised plan after looking at it.

Attachments

• sump design 2.jpg
    sump design 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 8,983
Quick question. While my baffles are drying, I am going to be plumbing my inlet and return pipes. I have 1" PVC. My original idea was to run straight off the return to a ball valve then to the DT. But I got to thinking and I have a 55 gal DT, 29Gal sump tank with a Mag 7 return pump. I've read not to add back pressure to the pump, and with it being a decent flowing pump not to do that.

Should I place a T fitting from the return, ball valve, then a 90 elbow back into the beginning of the sump??

Yes it's recommended that you run a T off your return; one straight shot to your DT, and the branch back down to your sump, both with ball valves so you can adjust your flow accordingly. I myself just run vinyl tubing return to my DT. It doesn't bend sharp and creates almost no resistance.

Here is the start of my sump tank. I had the middle baffle drying for a day, so i removed the cd cases that held them up. Yeah, so it slid back to the bottom of the tank and had to pull it back up to re-tape it. :-8 I hope it'll hold back the water. Any way here is the set up of my ATS. I made the screen 9"(wide)x13.5" long hooked up to a 370GPH pump. In my return I'm adding a Mag 7.

Attachments

• ATS.jpg
    ATS.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 4,851
  • ATS2.jpg
    ATS2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,328
Well yet another trip to Lowes, I've dry plumbed all my fittings. I have added a check valve on the return line, along with ball valves on the inlet, return, ATS, and additional return back to the sump. Now I'm just waiting on my silicone to be completely set before a water test. Also I took off one of the reflector lights just to mess with the ATS. It's been a fun DIY learning project. Now to see if it all works.

I'm using 2700K CFL bulbs on each side.

Attachments

• IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,010
So I water tested my sump baffles and they are leaking a bit. Should I be concerned later down the road? I am pretty impatient and want to set up my piping and such.. Ugghh

Well I just filled it up with water outside to check and was leaking a bit at the baffles. I've researched it's not that big of a deal.

Back