Planning my new set in the Philippines

fred42

Reefing newb
Hi there guys..Not introduced myself yet and obviously completely new to this forum..
Although I did have a set up about 15 years ago in England I had to give it up due to the unbelievable costs of everything..I was really sad to see it go though.
As its been so long I have decided to post in the newbie section and go from there.

I consider myself pretty lucky to have moved to a location in Asia that has fantastic reefs and no more than 5 minutes drive away.
The island we have moved too is Panglao which is in Bohol,Philippines.

I have loads of questions about designing my new system but I`ll stick to just a few before you help me decide on the new set up.

I was kind of thinking along the lines of a 6x4 tank which will sit on top of a much larger concrete sump.. I was thinking of dividing the sump up into 4 sections to create a large type of trickle filter.
Will I need to paint the inside with some kind of aqua or swimming pool paint or will the cement be OK?
As I can get ready mixed sea water to fill the tank and sump will I still need to let the system mature before adding fish?
The first and second section of the trickle filter would be filled with foam etc and the third will have a perspex sheet with hundreds of holes in so it trickles over the media nicely and the last section will contain a pump back to the tank. Information about a pump or power head size would be good.
As I doubt I can get high tech media here is there anything that would work well that I can easily acquire? (Not sure why but thinking hair rollers lol)

The other question would be how often and much water should I change to keep everything optimal? Im happy to change as much as required every month or sooner if you think necessary.
I have to be careful in case I cant get all the test kits here etc.
The actual tank will contain just a dusting of coral sand as I alway found it easier to vacuum and keep the bottom clean that way..The backdrop will hopefully be living rock.
Ive done a deal with local fishermen for live fish.. Any fish will cost me a small bottle of rum.:Cheers:=:sfish:(18 Pesos about 50 US cents!!)

Listen guys.. I will look forward to and value all or any expertise and advice that you may be kind enough to offer.. I might not be able to reply immediately as I am relying on internet cafe`s at present and not always in town..

Best regards,

Fred.

Welcome to the site.
I think it would be safer to seal that concrete before putting water in it.You never know exactly whats in the porse of the mix that could leech out and compromise water quality.
I wouldnt use as a trickle filter either.Set it up as a sump/refugium.It'll be much easier to maintain high quality water.And you'll still have to cycle it.

Hi and welcome! I also agree with Yote to seal the concrete. I'm not sure what type of sealant would be reef safe though. An important question is if you are planning on keeping fish only, or corals too.

Wow....have you visited Boracay? I went there once when I visited my family in Manila. We went there for a weekend. Awesome -- bright white sands, clear waters....I actually saw all the li'l fishies swimming around my feet.

Welcome to the site.
I think it would be safer to seal that concrete before putting water in it.You never know exactly whats in the porse of the mix that could leech out and compromise water quality.
I wouldnt use as a trickle filter either.Set it up as a sump/refugium.It'll be much easier to maintain high quality water.And you'll still have to cycle it.

OK..Thats what I thought.. Think I`ll go with the swimming pool epoxy paint and see how it goes.

I wouldnt use as a trickle filter either.Set it up as a sump/refugium.

OK.. Im pretty sure they didnt have them 15 years ago!
What is it,what does it do and can I make one?

Wow....have you visited Boracay? I went there once when I visited my family in Manila. We went there for a weekend. Awesome -- bright white sands, clear waters....I actually saw all the li'l fishies swimming around my feet.

Not Boracay no..Although I hear its nice..
Loads of reefs here and more importantly...Cheap diving!

Just got a price for glass yesterday for 6ftx3ftx2ft..
The glass merchant says I need 1/2" glass! 10,000PHP or around 150.00 US$$.
They say they can drill it for me too..

Thanks but loads more questions on the way..:D

Regards,

Fred.

Its basically a seperate tank that holds equipment like a heater and skimmer along with a compartment for macro algae like cheato for nutrient export.

What does the "compartment" contain?
Wet dry trickle filters always seemed to work well if there was enough foam and cotton before the bio balls to keep them clean..From memory I used to wash the foam out once a week.. Why do these filters seem to be frowned upon these days?

They do work well if you wash them frequently, as you say you did. But these days, people are much lazier and don't like having to do maintenance work if at all avoidable :) The systems currently favored are extremely low maintenance and don't need regular cleanings, and still do a good job of keeping water quality high.

Back