planning tank

Toolman, I don't think that was the main problem, I think that was the final straw. When you first posted this:

January 7th, 2010
I must be lucky I have a 12 gallon Aqapod with 1 Pony 2 false clowns a sand sifting goby as well as a mandrian along with 2 peppermint shrimp and a blood.
Ted

I got very worried. I asked you at the time how long you had that set-up because there is no way that type of bio-load can manage in a 12 gallon tank! I really, really, really don't want to make this situation worse for you. Please, believe me, you are listening now and we'll get you set back up properly. If you had that much stuff in a 12 gallon tank, your fishes were stressed out which made the whole thing crash when you added that new fish. This is a great hobby but we need to go slow and plan well for the success of your fish. Please don't be discouraged, we'll make it right.

Catherine

I never put any more fish in the 12 The new fish went in the 29 after I got the green light about the water the shrimp went in the new tank and only after a week were the fish transferred one at a time.
p.s. the 12 gallon got 2 gallons changed every week and there was no stress everything I did including adding fish was preceded by a water sample being checked. Who is going to throw $90.00 away on a sea horse that won't make it? I tried a new store closer to home my mistake not again.

Last edited:
I could not figure why the seahorses didn't swim around. I put a clown trigger in the tank now they are all over the place.:bounce:

I really hope you're joking. Clown Trigger's need a tank size of about 125 gallons and they are an aggressive fish. Horses don't swim around. They hang out and fish for pods. If your horses are swimming around then they are stressed out. You're going to kill the clown trigger and crash your tank. You're asking for trouble.

Catherine

Oh, I had a trigger eat my finger tip once. I was working in a fish store some years ago, wasn't paying attention when siphoning water while talking to a customer, and the little demon took a chunk right out of me. There is nothing more disturbing than watching a trigger munching away on a piece of you. You know that whole chew-spit-chew thing that fish do? That. to my finger tip.

So let me understand all these things do is sit in the tank with their tails wraped around this plant and never swim around? :grumble:

Toolman, they have more personality than any fish you'll find. When mine see me, they come to the front, swish back and forth and flash their colors. Seahorses "greet" those they love by flashing colors. Pegasus goes from dark brown to pink, Phoenix and Star turn bright yellow, it's fabulous. They hang upside down, they grab onto each other... they are total clowns. If you want to see fish swimming back and forth, take your horses back to the LFS and get yourself something else. They are not for everyone. Next time, do your research before you bring them home!!!!!!!!! If you would post pics of them, I might buy them from you.

Catherine

So they are going to change colors? I saw mine going a different color and thought it was sick. actually when I stick my hand in the tank the baby comes over and sits in my hand and wraps its tail around my finger. The big guy Onyx who I think is a male is not as active. The only downside is I read they only live for a year. that was my goal to bring the horses home and keep the big tank at work as a predator tank but that damn flame back angel shifted my plans and now I need to start all over.:Cheers:
Catherine Life's too short not to smile a little:^::mrgreen:

So they are going to change colors? I saw mine going a different color and thought it was sick. actually when I stick my hand in the tank the baby comes over and sits in my hand and wraps its tail around my finger. The big guy Onyx who I think is a male is not as active. The only downside is I read they only live for a year. that was my goal to bring the horses home and keep the big tank at work as a predator tank but that damn flame back angel shifted my plans and now I need to start all over.:Cheers:
Catherine Life's too short not to smile a little:^::mrgreen:

Oh no, most seahorses live for 5+ years if properly cared for. Crappy fish stores spread the short lifespan rumor because they didn't tell people how to take care of them, then they'd die and the store would say "well they don't live long, buy another!" (Dwarf seahorses are the exception, living about 18 months.)

Well it's a mute point I lost the small one over the weekend and Onix just laied it's head on a rock and passed. I really thought they would make it they were fine in the nurse tank and then crashed. No more sea horses I am cleaning the tank out and going to re-think the whole thing.......:sniffles:

I'm very sorry about your ponies, Toolman. Don't give up! There are a lot of experienced people here that can help you rebuild so that you can have success and happiness with your tank and your pets, whichever direction you choose.

Kuda or Erectus Seahorses What is the low down on these It's too early to start but I might have my guy hold them for a month to make sure they eat frozen.:question:

Toolman, You crashed your tank and killed your horses with your irresponsible tank practices. You overstocked your tank. You mixed fish that were not compatible with your horses. In my opinion, you should think about dedicating yourself to a hobby that does not include live animals. I'm sure you can sell your equipment on Craig's list. If you insist on getting horses, you should get your tank set up and stable before you even think about what kind of species you want to get. Stable means at least a year!

Catherine

Toolman, You crashed your tank and killed your horses with your irresponsible tank practices. You overstocked your tank. You mixed fish that were not compatible with your horses. In my opinion, you should think about dedicating yourself to a hobby that does not include live animals. I'm sure you can sell your equipment on Craig's list. If you insist on getting horses, you should get your tank set up and stable before you even think about what kind of species you want to get. Stable means at least a year!

Catherine

Weren’t you the one who told me to get rid of the clown fish and replace them with two more sea horses? Do you get lonely when you sit on top of your mountain? If you have a power outage do you jump on a bike and pedal for power? Do you taste test your food before you feed your creatures? You are awfully judgmental about people. You don't know :pooh:. I hope someday to return the favor. Thanks for your help.......

Well, Toolman, I had a bad day yesterday and I would like to apologize for the harshness of my words. I do, however; stand behind their meaning and here's why:

Here's one of your first posts concerning the contents of your tank:

"I must be lucky I have a 12 gallon Aqapod with 1 Pony 2 false clowns a sand sifting goby as well as a mandrian along with 2 peppermint shrimp and a blood.
Ted"

At that time I asked you how long you had your current set-up because I knew you were heading for a crash. Shortly after, you were asking about test kits when you posted this:

"Just going to buy a cheep damsel if it goes belly up I know I got a problem.:grumble:"

Then you started posting about all kinds of problems you were having with your tank and about how you were loosing fish. I encouraged you not to give up hope and you could re-build after the current crisis was over but you had to understand that your bio-load was the problem, you responded with this:

"the 12 gallon got 2 gallons changed every week and there was no stress everything I did including adding fish was preceded by a water sample being checked. Who is going to throw $90.00 away on a sea horse that won't make it? I tried a new store closer to home my mistake not again."

Water quality is only ONE reason not to bio-load your tank. Fish get stressed out if they don't have the proper space to move around and stressed fish lead to diseased fish very quickly. Horses will get stressed without enough vertical space and plenty of safe objects in their tank to "hitch" their tail. Horses can die if they are the only horse in a tank. They are social creatures they NEED a friend and they prefer a herd. I suggested you add more horses to your tank only if you got rid of your clowns and moved your horses into your 28 gallon. The only species of horses that can survive in a 12 gallon tank are dwarfs.

Biff gave you this advice: "Sorry to hear about your tank It's always sad to lose things. Yes this is a hobby, and it can be a very enjoyable one if done right. If you rush things, it can be so stressful and awful! I think tank crashes are probably the #1 reason why people get out of this hobby (either that or the expense of it, probably). Keep doing your maintenance routine. Your tank will be fixed over time. After that, the main lesson to take away is not to overstock, and not to stock too quickly. If you follow those simple rules, everything else comes pretty easily." I gave you similar advice and encouraged you to re-build because I thought you had learned your lesson about tank sizes and bio-loads. You haven't figured out your problem and you're already shopping for new horses? You need to get your tank stable before you add anything. Stable doesn't mean you didn't kill anything for a few weeks, stable means you've got a healthy system, healthy sandbed, good source of pods and a good size for the species of horse you are looking at getting. If you don't, you'll kill more horses and that upsets me.

With all due respect, Sir, I believe your renegade attitude towards stocking and maintaining your tank is irresponsible. I'm quite certain it is it cause of your current episode of fish killing. I ENCOURAGE you or anyone else to point out any errors I may have made in my advice to you or my assessment of your situation. The advice I have given you is a combination of my reading books, articles and posts on this forum. If I have misunderstood I would like to know.

As far as your calling me "judgmental" I can understand why you might think that so let me clarify my position concerning you and your posts to this forum. I have not judged you, I have not judged any person on this board. I have strong opinions. I am opinionated. It is possible to voice opinions and not judge the person who believes differently. Never would I presume to know enough about you or your life to "judge" you. You are posting to this forum to solicit advice about planning your tank. I have opinions about that. If you don't want people to respond to your posts then why are you posting why are you asking for advice and then getting upset when people give it to you?

You suggested I don't know :pooh: . There, I agree with you. My knowledge of marine aquariums pales in comparison to many of the people on this board. There are so many mistakes I was about to make but didn't because of the advice I've received on Living Reefs. Admittedly, I don't know :pooh:. I'm learning every day. If someone has questions about tanks or horses, I know where to go to get responsible answers which will have to do until I have more experience in this hobby. Living Reefs has not yet steered me wrong and I have managed to do all kinds of things I never thought possible because of the wisdom of the members here.

Finally, Ted, I would love for you to find enjoyment in reefing. The world is a big, bad place sometimes and marine aquariums are a beautiful way to find solace and inspiration. If there is anything I can do for you to help you enjoy reefing responsibly please, don't hesitate to ask. However; if you won't adhere to the basic, fundamental guidelines that will help you provide a healthy environment for your critters then I would like to see you enjoy a different hobby- one that does not include killing innocent fish.

Catherine

Last edited:
Back