Planning the upgrade

x19

Reefing newb
I finally got approval from the boss to upgrade the tank. I think I am going to go with a custom rimless 36Lx24Wx20T hopefully with an external overflow. I'm not planning on actually taking delivery of the tank until December so I have quite a bit of time for planning and preparation.

My question (first of many I'm sure) is regarding the new rock. I'd like to purchase some Marco dry rock and build it well in advance into safe stable formations for placement into the new tank. Can I build the rock formations and just place them into a rubbermaid with some seed rock for a few months and then use it in the new tank? Does making the rock "live" require a good light source? What about just some CFL grow lights?

Thanks in advance.

Yay! New builds are always exciting!

And you dont need any light to cycle, so your plan is fine, just stick a powerhead and heater in there! Cycle like normal and it should be all ready for the new tank. But you will need to "feed" the bacteria after its done cycling so toss some fish food in there every few days.

Yay! New builds are always exciting!

And you dont need any light to cycle, so your plan is fine, just stick a powerhead and heater in there! Cycle like normal and it should be all ready for the new tank. But you will need to "feed" the bacteria after its done cycling so toss some fish food in there every few days.

Fantastic! Thanks!

I got Marco rocks for my upgrade and couldn't be happier. Great choice in rock and great idea. Just make sure if you glue them together you can still lift them and fit them into the tank.

I got Marco rocks for my upgrade and couldn't be happier. Great choice in rock and great idea. Just make sure if you glue them together you can still lift them and fit them into the tank.

Did you use the marco cement to glue them together or some other epoxy?

I'm planning on mocking everything up and since the tank is rimless if it fits on the cardboard tank it'll fit in the tank.

Did you use the marco cement to glue them together or some other epoxy?

I'm planning on mocking everything up and since the tank is rimless if it fits on the cardboard tank it'll fit in the tank.
no I just have them stacked. Not sure if you have ever used this rock before, but they almost stack together like legos. They are very solid. And like lil fish said if you ever need to move some thing you can take them apart. Then try to imagine lifting something that weights 100lbs and setting in your tank. I would be worried to do it in one big piece.

I also used marco with my 150..put about 200 pounds in ( dry rock as it cycles will gain about 15% more weight) and I also loved the way it went together,, stacked real nice then just used zip ties here and there just to make sure..

Hmm, I've built my current aquascape pretty sturdy just through stacking but a bump in the right place does case a bit of a shake. I planning to go somewhat minimalist in the rockwork so I'm not sure they'll be enough to do it just via stacking. I'll be sure to play around though.

Thanks!

I wasnt to sure about stacking either but since have rearanged things twice.. just wanted a couple things a little different after seeing it altogether with growth on it.

if anyone would like to help me with plans on building a sump ( as small as possible because of very limited space) , I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 55gal. high tank with very little room behind it and limited space on either side. thanx

Back