Planted tanks and

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by yote, Mar 14, 2013.

1. yote

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

Sen, the key to not having snails decimate your plants is to not let snails hitchhike into your system.

RyanG, Mar 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. yote

sen5241b

I tired a planted tank once and every plant I bought from this one LFS was covered with snails. The snails ate all plants except one type they would not touch. I tried several copper treatments and most of the snails died off but some small number survived and they always multiplied back. Do you planted-tank guys find snail-less plants easily?

sen5241b, Mar 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. yote

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

You have to inspect your plants and buy from a reputable dealer just like corals...I always did a bleach water dip for my new stuff too.

RyanG, Mar 16, 2013
  4. yote

kbuser92 Breeder

You have a fair point. However if you are raising rift lake fish, natural p.H., say, will be ~7.7-8.2. "Normal tap" is ~6.5-7.5, so placing the tap fish in 8.2 could be more detrimental than in a tap tank ~7.0. Id rather have F1's, personally, but my wife chose tank-raised due to price and availability, resulting in us choosing treated tap water over buffered R/O. When I get to the point of a 125 and put F1's in, Ill sure buffer
    R/O and do my damnest to have a true biotope.

As ffar as community, youre right, just different perspectives.

kbuser92, Mar 16, 2013
  5. yote

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

I never tried the bleach water. But really never had to either.
    But when we get in a new shipment of plants at the LFS, we don't put them out for sale until we've inspected them for snails, and we usually treat the tank with Had-A-Snail too.But we've also got a decent sized Clown Loach in there, so snails really ain't got a chance in hell.

yote, Mar 16, 2013
  6. yote

d2mini VIP Member

Planted!!!! :D

Hard to see the diff in moss right now but that's Taiwan Moss in the foreground, some Flame Moss in the middle and Dwarf Hair Grass in the back.

ADG is here in Houston so that's where I got the plants and the Ryuo Stone. They were super $$$ for plants (imported from Italy) but no snails! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

d2mini, Mar 16, 2013
  7. yote

Smitty

That looks awesome Dennis...I love the layout.

Smitty, Mar 16, 2013
  8. yote

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Artist's eye always helps. Love it! Very zen. What are you going to put in that office tank?

wontonflip, Mar 16, 2013
  9. yote

kbuser92 Breeder

Dennis...you need to be banned or something...do you have a thread for that yet?

kbuser92, Mar 16, 2013
  10. yote

He ain't a gettin no stinkin thread to show off in. :mrgreen:

Dennis IS an artist when it comes to tanks and their layouts.

yote, Mar 16, 2013
  11. yote

d2mini VIP Member

Haha, thanks guys. I just looked at a bunch of Iwagumi style tanks and especially ones created by Takashi Amano. There's some amazing tanks out there. And I fell in love with the super long 12g which opened up lots of scaping possibilities. I stared at it for a bit but that was pretty much my first go, minus a few tweaks. I just hope it fills in nice! Can't wait to see a solid green carpet. :D

And it's nice having ADG about 20 minutes from my office. I just went in and grabbed a bunch of rocks and plants and then figured it out later. Busted most of them up with a sledge hammer to get the right sizes. ;)

I'll do a bunch of little red and white shrimp or something. Maybe some tiny tetras.

Also thinking about a small co2 setup with the FugeRay light that close to the water.

I do have a build thread on the planted tank forum... plantedtank.net

d2mini, Mar 16, 2013
  12. yote

bjohanson1234 .........

Nice tanks. Do you run any co2 Joe?
    I noticed that before I made my DIY yeast doser, my plants would just shrivel and die. After, the growth rate is a lot better. Getting new leaves on an amazon sword that had completely rotted except for the root ball.

My tank is no where near as beautiful as these though

bjohanson1234, Mar 16, 2013
  13. yote

No CO2 in my tank. I do use Flourish Excel, which is a carbon source though.
    Plus I use the Aqua Vitro Activate and Synthesis along with Flourish Potassium.

The only things I have trouble with is Moss. Don't matter what kind it is, it just melts away. But I think thats because of the lights. I think that Moss just can't handle 2X 250 halides.

yote, Mar 16, 2013
  14. yote

d2mini VIP Member

I'm using excel in the betta tank but i cut back the dose after hearing about over dosing problems. I just figured i'd make sure I was under dosing just to be safe.

I want to get a small co2 system for the 12g but not sure what to get. I'd be willing to pay more to find a nice easy kit that uses paintball canisters. The closest i've found is some at greenleafaquariums. I like the price of the nano, but it uses those 95gram disposable canisters. I wonder how long that would last on my 12g???

d2mini, Mar 16, 2013
  15. yote

I've not heard or read anything about problems with overdosing of Excel. Did a quick search that didn't turn up anything.
    Care to enlighten me?

yote, Mar 17, 2013
  16. yote

d2mini VIP Member

Yote, it's purely user error... i just backed off a little from the recommended dose to play it safe. But google shows lots of threads of people reporting that OVER dosing kills fish. And some use the overdosing as a way to kill off algae. I think a lot of it is due to confusion on how much to dose, probably because the instructions give you a daily dose and an "after water change or initial setup" dose which is substantially more. I was trying to find a long thread on the subject at plantedtank, but it seems to have disappeared. If I come across it again i'll post here.

d2mini, Mar 17, 2013
    yote likes this.
  17. yote

Thanks Dennis.
    I've been dosing 50ml per day with no adverse effects. But that really not that big of an over dose either for a 90 gallon tank.

yote, Mar 17, 2013
  18. yote

kbuser92 Breeder

I have my 16 way overstocked. 5 Zebras, 1 Flame Gourami, 2 Bristlenose (1 almost full grown) and snails, shrimp, etc...they use up enough oxygen. I also use FloraPride additive once a week with changes.

Dennis, are you sure it's ADG or is it ADA? If ADG, I'll have to look them up because I've never heard of them. Speaking of which, didn't Takashi Amano start up ADA?

kbuser92, Mar 17, 2013
  19. yote

d2mini VIP Member

ADG is Aquarium Design Group, who is an ADA reseller (one of two importers in the USA) and they install/maintain aquariums.
    Aquarium Design Group custom aquarium design installation and service in Houston Texas
    and their online store
    Aqua Design Amano USA/ADGshop.com- now available in the U.S.A, prouldy offered by Aquarium Design Group. The finest planted aquarium products.
    And yeah, ADA is Amano. Aquarium Design Amano

d2mini, Mar 17, 2013
  20. yote

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

Mmmf. Dat eye.

ErinCahir, Mar 17, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question