plastic laminate tank experiment

Amazing! I couldn't imagine attempting most of these things you DIY guys do. Mine would look like I got it at a swap meet. Congrats on a great looking tank.

hey if this works as well as i think it will it might be worth it for you to do. i just finished building the rough stand and set the tank on top of it. hopefully i can get a pump later on this week so i can do all my plumbing. i will fill it up in the mean time just to be absolutely sure it's water tight.

e is a picture of the basic tank stand frame work. i have yet to decide on what look i'm going for on the outside and the doors.:helm2:

Attachments

• DSC00060.jpg
    DSC00060.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 288
just a quick update. i'm filling it up for real...... got the pump in place and the plumbing is all done with the exception of my loc-line fittings...waiting for UPS.

ok guys. i'm back. i was busy taking the OSHA 30 hour course for work, so i was on-line training. any how; the tank is full and running. i put in a super quiet diy durso standpipe today. i set up my sump to have a fuge in it. how much live sand should i put in it. in other words, how deep? once i get that set i can put in my live rock and let it go. i also opted on a bare bottom tank. do you guys know of any real problems with this type of set up? let me know. once again i appreciate all the positive feedback.

I hate those OSHA and MSHA courses.We have to take em every so often because of the places we work.
The only problem I can think of with a bare bottom tank,is they just dont look natural to ME.But thats JMO.

Come out with the PICS! If you are asking how much sand in the fuge I would suggest 6 inches. As for the bare bottom, It's just like Yote said. Depending on your flow, you could end up with detritus all over the bottom which will look bad. Just check out the stock tanks at your LFS next time you are there. I have never seen one that doesn't have something on it, whereas with sand you dont notice it as much. Even when it's dirty sand just looks more natural.

Last edited:
Whats up guys? i got some pics for you. i moved in the rock and th fish. i'm in the process of making some mods to my skimmer to convert it from a cc to a recirc. i'm also going to get another 30 or 40lbs of rock. the tank looks kind of bare. well...here it is.................

Attachments

• DSC00070.jpg
    DSC00070.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC00071.jpg
    DSC00071.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC00073.jpg
    DSC00073.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC00074.jpg
    DSC00074.jpg