Plate Coral vs Yellow Clown Goby

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Recently my plate coral got stressed and pulled in its tentacles. Then my yellow clown goby started sitting on the coral. The coral is fine now and extends his tentacles but my goby still sits on the plate coral and nips at the coral poop as it comes out of the coral's mouth. He doesn't seem to bother the coral. Anybody seen this?

Clown gobies are evil coral pests IME. Pissed off all my SPS til he got a trip to the 3g picotope. Now he hangs out in a nice euphyllia branch. I dunno about plate corals though. Could it possibly eat the goby?....

Clown gobies are evil coral pests IME. Pissed off all my SPS til he got a trip to the 3g picotope. Now he hangs out in a nice euphyllia branch. I dunno about plate corals though. Could it possibly eat the goby?....

I think I have heard of plate coral taking down a fish.

And yes, clown gobies will destroy SPS.

Last edited:
This reminds me of a story.Yes a fish story, about a yellow clown goby. :) I had one in my 240 many years ago he would perch in the same coral day after day, so much that the coral stopped opening so we decided it was time for mr yellow clown goby to go back to the LFS. We lived 45 minutes from the store so we caught mr goby and put him in the sump until our weekend LFS trip. The next day he was back in my tank, weird so we caught him again and put him back in the sump. within 3 hours he was back in the tank. This goby passed through my pump over 6 times before he disappeared. Crazy! :D

Back