Plate Coral

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
How often do you need to feed them? I know you need to place the food on the disc and they eat meaty foods.

...and just a word of advise on plate corals - mine was getting HUGE - and moving about and up the glass - something I didn't want, so I moved him. He shrunk up and started declining FAST - so I moved him back to his original position. Still not lookin' good. Lesson learned - leave them alone when they are lookin' good.

I've had no luck with plate corals. I've had 5 of them total (long tentacled and short tentacled) and I've never been able to keep them alive for more than a few weeks. No idea why, since everything else in my tank has always done fine. I just hate those corals.

I have heard that the short tentacle are easier to maintain. I have had an orange short that is doing great. Actually noticed some growth since I bought it. I feed it a little chunk of silversides or mysis about once every three weeks. It will also catch flake food that blows down near it.

A bit off topic here, Jim, but you might want to re-think the flake foods in your tank - they'll contribute to algae problems (phosphates, I believe) in the long run.

Back