Please Clarify Something...

Nick

Reefing newb
In an effort to further educate myself on the subject of reef keeping, I began reading the pieces available under "Articles" here at Living Reef over coffee.

The article; "Why Using Tap Water is a Bad Idea" mentions in the beginning of the third paragraph: " It is quite natural to think that tap water is safe for human consumption so it must be safe to use in a fish tank".

In the article "Water Chemistry", under "Making Up Saltwater", it discussed the use of an RODI filter. It states: " The filter works by reverse osmosis, so there is some rejection water that is not fit for consumption".

So my question is this:

If what comes out of the tap (the source of the water going into the RODI filter) is fit for human consumption, what is it about the "rejected" water that makes it unfit for human consumption?

Nick

It's not that it is unfit for consumption, it is just loaded with the minerals and elements that we are trying to take out of our water. You can drink it, use it to water plants.......

a lot of cities and municipalities have their own water purification standard.some go above and beyond gov't. standards and some just meet.i dare say some are even below.

it is bc the concentration of contaminants and minerals is very high in the RO/DI waste water. You would be overloading your liver and kidneys by drinking the concentrated waste water.

Next year I plan on using it to top off my swimming pool. Not sure how I going to get it from the garage to the pool but I hate wasting it. I know use it for plant watering.

Good point: It is the CONCENTRATION that makes it unfit.

I too use it for plants, I've tried it in the coffee maker and for drinking but I can understand why yo shouldn't use if for drinking... unless of course you filter it again. I too hate wasting water, epically since my city installed water meters and we now get billed quarterly! LOL

Back