Please Critique my light Schedule

rachekc

Reefing newb
In talking to the professionals at my local saltwater aquarium store, they recommended that I cut my light time to 8hrs/day. Below is my light schedule and was wondering what is the best light setup.

I use a single Aquaillumination Hydra for a light. Should I get a second light??

My tank is a standard 55gal tank, with a blue damsel, 1 clown fish, 1 tiger conch. Green star polyp, zoe,

My Current Light Schedule:
6:30am - 8:30am 2hr ramp up V, DP, UV from 0 - 60%
7:10am - 8:30am 1:20hr ramp up CW, DR, G from 0 - 60%
7:50am - 8:30am 0:40min ramp up RY from 0 - 60%

11:50pm - mid ramp down RY to 1%
11:50pm - mid ramp down CW, DR, G, V, DB, UV to 0%

The reason he recommended cutting my lights back was because I started getting a bad case of Dinoflagellates.

Cutting your light cycle to 8 hours isn't a bad idea. As far as your light, most AI fixtures are rated for covering a 24 in x 24 in area so at some point in the future you'll likely want a second fixture if you have a four foot tank

I run my lights for 14hrs. I have 0 issues with algae blooms or ..... anything. It's been over a year at this setting, and I'll keep going like that. My personal opinion is more flow, husbandry, open rock work, and during w/c's sifting the sand bed during breakout periods. Look at the ocean, the water there receives way more than 8 hrs of light...

Back