Please help identify snail clam thing

Rob M

Reefing newb
I found about 10 of these on my zoa rock when I did a dip. My zoa started just dropping polyps so I went wanted to dip them. They are large up to 1/2 inch long ways. I cannot believe I did not see these I am not even sure they are the problem. A little crab even came off I could not find on the hitchhiker list. Thank you
image.jpg
image.jpg

Definitely a bivalve clam. Closest thing I can identify so far. "Turkey wing clam". If just filter feeder does anybody think them just crowding rich and growing causing the zoas to fall off. Or maybe crab I found was clipping them. Or something else all together
image.jpg

yes they are clams .i had a good few of them on my liverock when i first started out.they filter feed and definately wont harm zoas

+1. They are just like the maximas, won't harm a thing. I guess they could potentially crowd zoas, but I imagine the zoas would just grow over top of them. I'd bet on a crab or maybe a zoa eating nudibranch.

No well maybe. Put a pistol about 2 months ago but have not seen him since then. I am thinking the small crab may have been clipping them because every once in a while I would see a healthy Zoa floating around tank. Half the zoas are taking there time opening up again after dip. Hope they are ok

think gonna leave pistol .reading too many bad things about em.reckon you right bout crab clipping em.wot crab is it?

Not sure, didn't even know he was in there kinda looked like a small Mithras emerald type. Daughter had it ripped apart looking at it before I could get a like at it. I am always shocked at what shows up

No well maybe. Put a pistol about 2 months ago but have not seen him since then. I am thinking the small crab may have been clipping them because every once in a while I would see a healthy Zoa floating around tank. Half the zoas are taking there time opening up again after dip. Hope they are ok[/q did you find out what that feather like thing was growing on your duncan coral?

i used to have a mithrax another hitchiker clipped a few of my zoas but not all of them.main problem was it knocked rocks over.well the ones that i never stuck down.

rob m, hope it works out.off now and get some kip.dont know if you are in the states but its 2am here in uk so bye for now

Back