please help me auto top off questions

kmart189

Reefing newb
So I am fed up with topping my 150 with buckets. I have looked at autotopoff.com and jbj for there top off devices. My question is it looks like these are for use with a reservoir for the water supply. I want to connect it directly to my ro unit and the autotopoff.com has a float switch used for turning a pump off and on and have read about using a solenoid for directly hooking up the ro unit will someone explain how this works before I purchase it. thanks in advance

why couldnt you have your ato top off emplt into a garbage can and run a jbj ato off the can, your gonna want water in the can too for waterchanges and stuff

cant you put it behing a wall or somthing? if you do it the way you want what will you use to do waterchanges if your rodi filter is hooked up to ato? you would need a second rodi. this is coming from a 15 year old who has to save every penny he can, but if you want to go ahead and you have the money to buy a second ro filter go right ahead.

im going to put a t in the line so I will have 2 lines available one for wc and one always connected to the sump for ato

no nano, you just run a T off the outlet of the rodi and have its own quarter turn valve on it.

the problem with running the ato straight off of the rodi unit is that when the unit turns on you get a burst of higher tds water than normal and when you add it the fact that it wont run but a few seconds when it needs to run, you will never get those tds cleared out fully. and when your you top off, the short cycling of the booster pump (if you have one) will burn it out faster.
i suggest adding a small tank after the rodi...they make one that is 2.5 gallons to hook in line and will let the pump not kick on so often.

IMG_3910.jpg

Just use something like this.

Back