Please help me on tank setup!!!

mike2

Reefing newb
I know I should have done more homework to help me make this decision but I am kind of desperate. I want to buy a 120” long x 18” wide x 36” high starphire glass tank. My problem is I want to do a reef tank with a sump system and can’t decide on overflows or just holes drilled into the tank. The stand I’m building for it will leave both large viewable panels open but I am going to enclose the ends with a canopy on top. I want to either put overflows at the ends or just to drill holes in the tank but can’t decide which to do; also I’m trying to hide most of my plumbing in the ends to keep as much as possible out of site. I have looked around on the internet and can’t seem to find a info on the same setup . I have to get this ordered so I can have my living room done before Christmas. It probably will be awhile before I actually get the tank running just have to install it and build the canopy for it. When I get home I plan on doing some rigorous training just I’m stuck at work in the Gulf of Mexico and won’t be home before I have to order it.

If you are having the tank built the company should be capable of building it with an external overflow box. these are a fairly new technique that make a tank look very clean. There is no visible plumbing or anything, you can have one made to span the whole length of the tank or just a portion, If that is not an option I would definatly go with overflows.
Are those demintions you listed correct? It seems like a very tall tank for a reef? lighting will be tough. and aquascaping tough as well with only 18" front to back.

Yes the dimensions are correct.. I want to try to keep it from taking up to much space into my living room that’s why I want it only 18”. I am trying to use the height just to have more viewing area. I want to have both large sides open so I guess the best thing to do is put the overflows on the ends.

Wow, Ironman outta nowhere!

The thing about tall tanks is, fish don't use a lot of vertical space. They swim back and forth, not up and down. So your lighting will be much more expensive (because it has to penetrate deeper), and you will not be able to keep as many fish, or as large fish.

On a tank like that,I'd have it built with the external overflows.That way you dont see them when viewing the tank.

My thoughts are to build some kind rack onto the tank and mount rocks to it. I wanted kind of a rolling scene then it taper out to bottom sides of the tank. Are there light out there that can penetrate all the down through the water or should I just make the height less? I was thinking if I put a divider in the tank at the ends and using that as the overflow instead of an external overflow. Then build covers for them in the frame. Or can I put external overflow on the ends of the tank?

You could hand 5X 400 watt metal halides over it and probably be good.But your electric meter will beg for mercy.

If you are having the tank built the company should be capable of building it with an external overflow box. these are a fairly new technique that make a tank look very clean. There is no visible plumbing or anything, you can have one made to span the whole length of the tank or just a portion, If that is not an option I would definatly go with overflows.
Are those demintions you listed correct? It seems like a very tall tank for a reef? lighting will be tough. and aquascaping tough as well with only 18" front to back.
Ok I thought I knew who all the mods where. I have been on this site for hours every day since I have joined. Is there any other super hero mods out there?

Ironman was a regular/mod when this was the Chattanooga Reef Clubs site.
This was the chattanooga reef clubs site? Ok what else arent you telling me? Here I thought this forum was out of England. At least Ian is aint he? Doesnt really matter to me I am here for all the friendly people however if they get that living reefs tat designed and I end up getting inked maybe I should do more research first. Would be just my luck to find out it wasnt even originally a reef forum but was something like taco bell dogs or something. :mrgreen:

Ironman, Brandon and RevReefer were the three original mods, back when this was the home of the Chattanooga Reefers. 2 or 3 years ago, the Chatt reefers broke off and got their own website, and those three guys left. Brandon and Rev have not been back since, but Ironman seems to check in once or twice a year.

That is about the time that I joined, and I didnt know it used to be the Chatanooga Reef Club either:shock: But like ted said, it dont matter as long as the people and info are good:Cheers:

Back