Please, help me to set up a reef tank

belochka37

Reefing newb
HELLO EVERYONE!
I KNOW IT IS DUM, BUT I ALWAYS WANTED TO HAVE A REEF AQUARIUM, BUT DO NOT KNOW HOW TO START. I FOUND SOME AQUARIUM AND EQUIPMENT TO IT, BUT DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS ENOUGHT FOR REEF TO SET UP. I AM GOING TO COPY THE TEXT SO MAY BE YOU CAN TELL ME IF THIS IS ENOUGHT.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE.

This is a 75 Gallon full set up. I had it set up for saltwater, but can also be used for fresh water.

Included:

Aquarium,
Wooden stand (shown in picture),

3n53ma3peZZZZZZZZZ93aaa15c15d278416ec.jpg

Overhead light,
Glass Top,
Cascade 700 external filter/sump,
300W heater,
Excalibur skimmer,
Night Light,
Power Strip,
Timers for lights (Day/Night)

THEY SEND ME THIS PICS AND I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT LIGHTS

Last edited:
It also depends on what type of lights they are. Can you contact them to get details on the brand of the equipment?

If the lights are cheapo, you will have to replace them to have a reef tank. But everything else looks good. You will still need to buy a few powerheads for water movement, but that doesn't have to be expensive. You will also have to buy rock.

in the picture you can see the lights and they are the typical freshwater strip lights so those will have to be replaced. also id get a better skimmer

Oh. Yeah. I guess you can see the lights.

Yes, T5s will be the best for the tank. You will need a 48" set since it looks like the tank is standard size for a 75 gallon. I've never heard of that type of skimmer yet either, but before rushing out to buy a new one, I'd see if it works at all. If you do end up having to buy a new skimmer, the Octopus brand provides the best bang for the buck.

i did a quick google search on the Excalibur skimmer, turns out it is a low end venturi style skimmer that will really only work on a very lightly stocked 75g tank as it is only rated for a 100g tank

Hello guys!
I just bought 65 gal tank. I would like to set up a saltwater aquarium, not the reef one yet. I am not ready. I will put life rocks and a few tropical fish. Please, help me the names of equpment is better to set up for 64 gal. I know i need filter, skimmer, heater. What kind of chemicals will i need? And how to mix salt water.
Sorry, i know it is too much, but i do not know who to ask.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65 gallons is a good tank to start with.Dont worry about a filter right now.Get yourself a good hang on back skimmer.You live rock and the skimmer will take care of the filtration needs.Look at the Octopus hang on backs.
I'd probably use 2 75 watt heaters.That if one sticks on,it shouldnt boil the tank,but it'll keep the temp from making a huge nose dive.
As far as chemicals go,put those out of your mind.You wont need those for quiet a while.You will need either a hydrometer or a refractometer.The refractometer is the better choice.
To mix saltwater.Just put the water in a bucket with a powerhead and a seperate heater.Then slowly add your choice of salt(1/2 cup per gallon of RO/DI water)Then let mix for 24 hours.Simple as that.

Back