Please help me

Bronxbomber425

Reefing newb
Good evening . Can anyone tell me what These growths are? My uncle passed away over a year ago, and left me his entire hobby. I was left nine tanks, lots of equipment, and lots of headache. I personally have had many other tanks, but NEVER a marine tank. I have struggled with learning everything in such a short period of time, but as you can see by the photos, I am not doing something correct. If someone chooses to respond to my post, I can tell you in advance that I DO NOT have any more test kits (I know this is pivotal), but I do have 100lbs of live rock, Eheim 2213, two fans, protein skimmer and a sump of course. This tank houses 2 LARGE engineer gobies, 1 foxface rabbitfish, 1 maroon clownfish, 1 sailfin tang, 3 yellowtailed damsels, 12 dwarf blue legged hermit crabs, and 12 snails. My uncle had tanks in his home that were far prettier than anything I have ever seen at the local LFS. I promised my aunt that I wouldn't let his hard work go to waste. Anyone, please help me

Attachments

• 20120103_210545.jpg
    20120103_210545.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 20120103_210617.jpg
    20120103_210617.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 20120103_211156.jpg
    20120103_211156.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the site...to help you out, read up on the articles on the top right of the home page. I'm also having a hard time identifying what you're asking/showing from the pics you posted.

I have been through every page on this thread and I haven't seen anything like my photos. The last photo appears to be aiptasia. Ironically, when I moved the rock to take the photo, the petals his themselves deeper into the rock. I have answered my own questions in the past by just perusing this site, but these three things have stumped me.

Hello and Welcome!

I would say the last pic is of aiptsia as well.

The first picture im not sure what you want us to look at.

The second pic looks like sponge or tunicate growth. I wouldnt be concerned with it.

In the first photo, the tubular looking thingee. They look like feather dusters but they are almost transparent. Any clue? Thank you kindly in advance:D

They look very similar, but they are totally transparent and each one is about a quarter of an inch long. I must have at least two hundred of them. Weirdly enough, they are growing on the white fuzzy stuff and on my glass

First off let me say THANK YOU to all those that tried to assist me. Really for being total strangers, miles away, you were all very quick to reply. So in order to solve my problems, I have taken drastic steps. I went to York University here in Toronto and was actually able to stump a professor. Here we go: The feather duster lookalikes are still unknown. They were really confused about it. Lol. The webby looking stuff is cryptic sponge and last but not least, the red petals were indeed aiptasia. Onto my drastic measures....I took all the affected out of the tank, minus 7 large pieces that are quite heavy and still "clean". I put all the nasty rock into buckets and poured a mixture of meat tenderizer, vitamin c, and lemon juice in pots of boiling water. I let them sit for 3 hours. I then took an old toothbrush and scrubbed each piece with a toothbrush. Say goodbye to the corraline algae, the aiptasia, and all the imitation feather dusters. I realize that in doing so, I lost whatever good life was growing on the rock, but I hate to play God and harm something in the process, ie: my fish. I see every aquarium as us playing God to our hobby and its inhabitants. Believe me when I say I feel guilt, I have recused three dogs from being euthanized and currently I get another one on Saturday. All other three I have found excellent homes for, lol. Back to my quest. I know the ingredients in my mixture may sound weird, but as the professor concurred with my idea, I had to try it. I am putting the rock back in, after a fresh blast of snow, yes snow. Am I a nutbar? Does anything I have mentioned sound logical in ANY way? I will not put the rock back in, until someone tells me if its safe.

Yeah, I think after you've rinsed it very well, and them rinsed it some more, it should be safe to place back into the tank...it's not like you've used some harsh chemicals on it.

Back