Please help with light selection..what can I grow with this?

sasscuba

Reefing newb
I have a 125 gallon right now with 150 pounds of Live Rock. What would I be able to grow and keep alive with 384 watts?

I am looking at the Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights. It is $330.99 at Dr. Fosters and Smith. Part number is VT-18791.

I really only have $400 in my budget for lights and don't really want to go hardcore with tons of corals. Maybe some mushrooms, polyps, SPS corals.

Right now I have (2) 30 watt 18,000K PowerGlo lights and it is bright but I know that is not enough. All my rocks have maintained the Corraline algae and spread a little with the little light I have now.

Any help is much appreciated.

My thought is maybe get this light and maybe down the road add some Halide or other light into the canopy if more funds become available?

The coral life is a good place to start. it will allow to keep some softies as long as you water collum is not deeper than about 18". anyways if you want fish and things and a few corals such as button polyps, mushrooms, etc. your selection for light should be adequate but most likely not for clams, anemonies, light loving corals i.e. sps.etc. hope this helps. good luck. keep us posted. if you still use the existing lights even better.

too bad you don't live closer i just upgraded to metal halides so i have a 384 watt 72" power compact that i got from dr. foster and smith it was 450.00 i'm selling it for 250.00 only used it for 2 months.

p42628b.jpg

originally it was supposed to be a coral life fixture but they sent it broken, and when they sent new light this is what they sent me for 330.00 coral life they sent a 450.00 USA current outer orbit.

i would have to check around unless you know of any cheaper ways to ship cause last time i checked for someone near chicago ups want 120.00, fedex around 100.00, and post office said 90.00 because it is oversize shipping to bad it couldn't be like when you buy them only 20 dollars shipping.

Back