Please teach me a little about anenomes

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Gdbyrd, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Gdbyrd

Gdbyrd life's a beach

So now that I'm putting together my first large tank, with adequate lighting(cebu sun by hamilton), I realized I've really taken a liking to my clownfish. I picked up two ORA Black Snowflake clowns, and there's nothing I'd like to see more than them diving into a healthy nem.

But I know very little of their husbandry. I've done quite a bit of reading, and I'm pretty much decided on a BTA. My tank is only about 3 months old, so I've got time to figure this out. Meanwhile all parameters except temp have been stable. Temp is moving from 80-82 in an 8 hour photo period.

Any info you can give me? My main concern is the "what if" of me killing it. I work 14 hour days, so if it died at 8 am, and I didn't get home until 9PM, what all could happen? What precautions can you take to decrese the likelyhood of this happening? Aside from BTA, what other anenomes should I consider?

Gdbyrd, Jun 23, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Gdbyrd

emmett0122

nem proof your power heads to start i had my men go threw my power head

emmett0122, Jun 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Gdbyrd

Gdbyrd life's a beach

For koralia pumps, how would you do that?

Gdbyrd, Jun 24, 2013
  4. Gdbyrd

emmett0122

5. Gdbyrd

salt_for_brains Alabama Reefer VIP Member

It is great that you are waiting on your tank to mature more before getting an anemone. The biggest factors of maintaining a healthy anemone is proper lighting, water flow and stable water parameters. The BTA is one of the easier species although they are still considered difficult. If you want an anemone that hangs out in your rock work it is a good choice. I have three that have remained stationary for years. I never feed them but they will occasionally catch some food when I feed the tank. This has been my practice with or without clowns. Unless an anemone is bleached or dyed I wouldn't target feed it but that is my opinion. Many aquarists feed their anemone too often and/or inappropriate sized pieces of food which causes problems and even death.
    An anemone that dies in your tank is just like anything else and can cause a spike in your water parameters. They DO NOT release toxins when they die. They DO NOT release their nematocyst cells when they die.

salt_for_brains, Jun 25, 2013
    Gdbyrd likes this.
  6. Gdbyrd

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

But they will make a sewage treatment plant smell like a bed of roses on a hot summer day.

+1 Salt

yote, Jun 26, 2013
  7. Gdbyrd

emmett0122

+1 to yote

emmett0122, Jun 26, 2013
  8. Gdbyrd

spongeycrab

+ 1 yote

spongeycrab, Jun 27, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question