Plumbing a drilled tank.

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
Thinking to getting a tank drilled and want to read up on the what all I would need to do to make this work great. Things like where to get overflows, what size bulkheads, return pump suggestions. Any info would help me start the process of learning this side of a reef tank.

Thanks,
hd

going to need alot more info in order to really help..
What size tank: this will determine return pump, wether you want external pump or internal for return..
What size are the outlets on the tank: this will determine what size you will need for plumbing and such.. Is there going to be sump with refugium in it or are you going to have two seperate tanks..
Any extra info will help greatlty...

The tank I am looking at is 270g. 96x24x27. It currently is drilled on the back left corner for 1.25" bulkheads. It has 2 holes. I know the tank can be drilled as the second hole was done by the current owner.
I am thinking that a tank this long should have at least 2 overflows so I am wanting to put another overflow section in the back right corner if I get this tank.
So questions would be.....Is 1.25" sufficient for good drainage. Should I use all 4 holes for drainage and plumb the return lines external. Should I do a "closed loop" so I don't have 10 powerheads in the tank?
This tank would be an in wall with a fish room behind it. Return pump would be whatever is going to work the best for my setup. I want to have a large fuge, large sump, frag tank.
Any help with what would be best to do and resources to read up on would be much appreciated. I have only used the h.o.b overflow boxes in the past.

Back