Plumbing a New Reef Tank ~ Oceanic

bsmith238

Reefing newb
I just purchased a new 70 gallon Oceanic Reef Ready tank :bounce: . My question is - that I would like to add ball valves to the bottom of the tank fittings. The fitting that came with the tank have barb ends for direct connect to a hose. My thought was to remove cut off the barb ends and thread on the valves and add new barb fittings.

I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this and have some other suggestions.

Thanks for the help.....

The oceanic Plumbing kit i just got with my new 92 gallon Reef ready came with 4 things....

2 bulk heads one for each hole

and 2 barb fittings that go into the bulkhead if you choose to use tubing.

If you want to do what you have discribed above just ditch the two barb fittings and use straight PVC pipe into the bulk head.

Hope that helps.... I would also recommend finding some higher quality valves such as PVC gate valves... you will thank yourself later.

Brandon

Do not put valves on the drain line, only on the feed lines or you may create a real problem of overflowing the tank if the water comes in faster than it leaves. use the feed side for regulating water flow. I used hose from the barb fittings down to the valves. I prefer not to hard pipe to the temp. glass. flexibility is important in earthquake country. I hard piped through the floor and to the valves and unions but used hose from hose barb at the valves to hose barb at the tank. you did not say what you had under your system. if going to a sump you can run from a pump to a T and hose barb on the tee's three connections, then hose from tee each side to a valve and then to the bottom of tank. this would allow you to adjust each return feed. on the drain overflow just let it go full speed to the sump, wet dry etc.

Last edited:
Back