Plumbing Question

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by SigEpLucas, Feb 24, 2015.

1. SigEpLucas

SigEpLucas Nano Reefer VIP Member

Just looking for some help with plumbing. I am using all 1" pvc pipe for both the overflow and the return on a new tank build. The overflow is easy since it doesn't attach to anything except the bulkhead but on the return I'm not 100% how to connect to the pump and the return. I'm using a U-Tube Directional Return that says it accepts 3/4" - 1" ID Tubing. I was hoping I could snugly fit a 1"pvc over it but it won't. It's too big for the 3/4" section and too small for the 1" section. On the pump I am using it has a barbed fitting adapter that is for 1" ID Tubing as well and the same thing. It just won't fit inside a 1" pvc. Do I need to use some kind of barbed fitting on my pvc to connect or is there an alternative without using any vinyl?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

SigEpLucas, Feb 24, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. SigEpLucas

mariobrothersleeve squirrel

There is alot of ways to get this done.

You can't use pvc to connect to a barb.

If you use a barb, you'll need flex tubing.
    If you use pvc, you can convert to flex hose via the hose bib. I made my own return with 1 inch pvc to a threaded to a unilock.

Try getting clear flex hose if you are running under 10ft.

mariobrothersleeve, Feb 24, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. SigEpLucas

I think I might just try to use some threaded pvc adapters into barb fittings and use a short piece of clear tubing. Was hoping to do all hard plumbing but seems like the tubing will make it easier.

SigEpLucas, Feb 24, 2015
  4. SigEpLucas

Big K

This is what I ended up doing. It has the added advantage of giving the u-bend some flexibility also.

Big K, Feb 25, 2015
  5. SigEpLucas

Yeah seems to be the way to go. I actually found a 1" slip to 3/4" female thread adapter that screwed right into a 3/4" male thread attachment that came with the pump so that worked out perfect. I also found a 3/4" barb fitting for the other end that I'm just going to butt up against the u-return and attach them with some clear tubing. Only problem was Home Depot only sold 3/4"ID tubing for $20 per 10ft and I only need about 5 inches so hopefully the LFS has some!

SigEpLucas, Feb 25, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question