Plumbing Question

SigEpLucas

Nano Reefer
Just looking for some help with plumbing. I am using all 1" pvc pipe for both the overflow and the return on a new tank build. The overflow is easy since it doesn't attach to anything except the bulkhead but on the return I'm not 100% how to connect to the pump and the return. I'm using a U-Tube Directional Return that says it accepts 3/4" - 1" ID Tubing. I was hoping I could snugly fit a 1"pvc over it but it won't. It's too big for the 3/4" section and too small for the 1" section. On the pump I am using it has a barbed fitting adapter that is for 1" ID Tubing as well and the same thing. It just won't fit inside a 1" pvc. Do I need to use some kind of barbed fitting on my pvc to connect or is there an alternative without using any vinyl?

Thanks!

There is alot of ways to get this done.

You can't use pvc to connect to a barb.

If you use a barb, you'll need flex tubing.
If you use pvc, you can convert to flex hose via the hose bib. I made my own return with 1 inch pvc to a threaded to a unilock.

Try getting clear flex hose if you are running under 10ft.

I think I might just try to use some threaded pvc adapters into barb fittings and use a short piece of clear tubing. Was hoping to do all hard plumbing but seems like the tubing will make it easier.

I think I might just try to use some threaded pvc adapters into barb fittings and use a short piece of clear tubing. Was hoping to do all hard plumbing but seems like the tubing will make it easier.

This is what I ended up doing. It has the added advantage of giving the u-bend some flexibility also.

Yeah seems to be the way to go. I actually found a 1" slip to 3/4" female thread adapter that screwed right into a 3/4" male thread attachment that came with the pump so that worked out perfect. I also found a 3/4" barb fitting for the other end that I'm just going to butt up against the u-return and attach them with some clear tubing. Only problem was Home Depot only sold 3/4"ID tubing for $20 per 10ft and I only need about 5 inches so hopefully the LFS has some!

Back