Plumbing Forum yes or no

• yes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • no

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Would it be good to have a plumbing forum or is it not that neccessary?? Maybe someone else can add a poll i dont know how to do it

We have a whole DIY forum just for topics like this, anything you are going to build can go in there. Also a lighting and equiptment forum. Lets not carried away with the additions guys, one of the most charming things about this board is its ease of use, something alot of boards cant offer or say.

That seems sorta stupid as all reefing seems to pretty much fall under DIY. I do not think people are going to build their plumbing parts and pieces very often. They instead are installing purchased parts and pieces of equipment and trying to put them together with pieces and parts as do we all. I do not think equipment installation should be considered do it your self. Designing a skimmer from plumbing parts or building a tank from glass sheets or plywood, or a tank stand, or canopy is DYI. Not installing a sump or its pumps and plumbing. If you need to make an appropriate section use a title like Tank Set Up Section. Then if you so choose at a later time break that into separate sections such as Lighting, Sumps, Protein Skimmers, Refugiums, Pumps and Plumbing, ATO systems, Calc Generators/Reactors. Right now there is a section for Lighting, Filtration and other Equipment which could perhaps be better referred to as Tank Set Up Equipment as is typical to most forums. As usual I disagree with most of the frequent site contributors, if their choice is to say what now is in effect is best. I do not consider Lighting, Filtration and other Equipment an adequate Forum Section Title, as Lighting and Filtration is too specific and Other Equipment is too general. There is not enough call for Lighting or Filtration to any more qualify them to head up the title to a Forum section as there is for Plumbing, Sumps, Refugiums, Calc Reactors/Generators or Protein Skimmers, or plumbing. I think we should properly label the existing poorly titled Forum title rather than add a new Forum title. Seems like a huge amount of questions asked are about tank set up and tank general maintenance and there is no existing titles for either of these very common areas of discussion, and questions are not all coming from newbies.

Last edited:
The thing is, this is a very small site, with very few members compared to the larger reef keeping sites. The volume of questions related to specific areas of tank set up is too small to have a separate category for every aspect of it.

That is not what I am suggesting at this time , however I feel for the data that this site is growing to contain that the switches will need to be made eventually if the data is to be readily available for referencing. I do think that the present Forum Title for Lighting, Filtration and other equipment should now be more appropriately labeled. To Tank Equipment or Tank Setup. It is quite obvious that lighting, and filtration are only two small parts of a greater Tank Setup or Tank Equipment category. The reasons some of the questions are limited might very well be due to some of the problems such as these. There are already multiple questions daily about specific areas of tank set up! Admittedly that even though this Forum site appears to be used a lot for socialization more than seek or providing help. That doesn't necessarily mean socialization ease should have priority over the sharing of reef keeping knowledge.

Everyone should feel good about posting suggestions for site improvements or changes, however, if your idea does not go over well, do not be offended, keep submitting your thoughts as that gives us all a sense of what everyone is thinking. I would like to thank everyone who has posted and urge all to continue to post your thoughts for bettering the site and responses to those thoughts.
Thanks to all who participate in the process.

Back