Pod Farming

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Ok, I've got a major shipment of pods coming in today so I need to make some adjustments to the inhabitants of my tanks. I've got a row of little tanks, 20 gallon: aiptasia farm with a little clown and a cleaner shrimp, 10 gallon: LR, yellow goby and a cleaner shrimp, and a 15 gallon: another aiptasia farm, an anemone and clown. The 10 gallon is going to become the sump for my nano and is going to become my pod farm. There is no aiptasia in there and there is a nice chunk of LR. I was thinking I would put my yellow goby into my nano but where do I put the cleaner shrimp? I would like to put it in my pony tank but do they bite/ pinch? If yes, I can't. Also, and here's the big question, do cleaner shrimp eat live pods? I can feed him a good supply of frozen mysis to keep his tummy full but if he eats pods he can't go into my pony corral because I've got a pony that won't take frozen and I need to keep a good supply of live in there for her. If they eat live pods the only other spots for the cleaner is in my 15 gallon with the anemone and the clown. Between setting up my new 55 gallon and my nano these three tanks will soon be history! WooT!

Thanks,
Catherine

Your ponies should be fine with a cleaner shrimp Catherine.Yeah,the shrimp will eat a few pods,but not enough to make any difference.They normally feed on bigger prey.
As for pinching the horses,it shouldnt.It will clean off any parasites that the horses might have though.

I think a cleaner shrimp would pester and pick a seahorses. They will pick at you hand if you put it in the tank for a while. I don't think they will eat all your pods though.

Do you know if they eat live pods? I know they like to clean the fish and seriously, all the horses do is fish for pods. You can grab them, play with them whatever as long as they can sit very still and look for pods in the rocks and grass they are happy. I looked at my shrimp and I don't see any claws that might break their skin. I know they can give a bit of a pinch to your hand but it doesn't seem strong enough to do any damage. Every now and then you'll see a snail crawling around on one of the ponies so I think a cleaner might actually do them some good? Geez, wish we had a seahorse thread!

Catherine

Last edited:
The shrimp will eat a few pods,but so feather duster,vermited snails ,even corals will eat live pods.But that shrimps not going to catch enough pods to hurt the population any.
It'd be like us going out into a 50 acre strawberry field and picking 3 or 4 strawberries a day.You'll never even notice.

when do you get yoour horses. i want to get some again but i will wait until i hae a tank just for them this time

So, I've got my cleaner shrimp floating in my seahorse tank and Phoenix swims up and loooks at the shrimp. He was swimming from one side to the other, so cute! It's a big shrimp so I don't think they could hurt him but he's definitely interested. You don't think he'll eat Phoenix's babies, do you?

Catherine

So, I've got my cleaner shrimp floating in my seahorse tank and Phoenix swims up and loooks at the shrimp. He was swimming from one side to the other, so cute! It's a big shrimp so I don't think they could hurt him but he's definitely interested. You don't think he'll eat Phoenix's babies, do you?

Catherine

i wish i could tell you maybe email the place that has that class on the horse's i bet they could give you a better answer

In tanks that are filled with macro-algae and no predators, I've seen huge pods (amphipods?)and many different species.

In tanks that are filled with macro-algae and no predators, I've seen huge pods (amphipods?)and many different species.

That's what I'm going for but my seahorses keep overfishing my tank! Hopefully, setting up a fuge will solve the problem.

Catherine

do you have room to put the pod tank above the horse tank? if so you could just drill the side of the tank and let it drain into the horse tank and just use a little mj1200 to pump the water to the pod tank.

and if you put that little pump on a timer you'd really have pretty fine control over the whole operation... heck the pod tank could be just about anything couldnt it? i mean it could be as simple as a orange home depot bucket with a hole drilled in the side and some tubing sealed into the hole...

could i ask where you got live pods from and how much you paid for them and shipping??

I usually get my pods from : : : : Indo-Pacific Sea Farms : : : :. Gerald, the owner, knows me and lets me order just pods. This time I'm getting them from <head> <title>Macro Algae : Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae They are on sale so I decided to give them a try. I got some plants from them a few weeks ago and I really liked the way they packed their products and the cost of shipping. I'll let you know how the pods do once I get them in because they didn't come yesterday as I thought they would.

Catherine

please do.. i think ill be getting a Mandarin this week (the fish that brought me to saltwater tanks...) and i do have a pretty big fuge with pods, but i would want to seed it even more and make sure the little guy has food... and for under 25 buck shipped it definitely would be an investment i would wanna make

Well, I got my shipment in. I have gotten their live sand before and I really love it. It's filled with little chunks of rock with coraline on it and all kinds of tiny Florida shells. The method they use to pack their bags is really neat. They've got these breathable bags that are like sausage casings. Really cool. Unfortunately, I think because it was delayed a day that it really suffered. It was shipped Tuesday and I JUST got it. The live sand REEKS! The pods are much smaller than the ones I get from IPSF and that's ok with me, the problem is there is absolutely no movement of the specs in the bags. They have an arrive alive guarantee and I just called the guy to ask him what I should do. Darn. Really in need of those pods. I think its a good company but something bad happened in the shipping process. We'll see how they handle this situation.

Catherine

yea, please do keep us posted, cause i know that my mandrin is fat now, but i'd like the diversity your talking about, and i might just order from them if it all comes out good...

Back