Pods Everywhere Woots!

Rufio808

Reefing newb
So, I wake up curiously this morning and flash a light into the corner of my tank. I've read people doing this to check their pod population. Well, I flash the light and :shock:
My tank looks like a crazy sandstorm with all these pods flying everywhere. Some of them are pretty buff looking, :shock: again!

I only bought one piece of LR (3 lbs, but I think the LFS weighed it wrong), but I guess that was enough to bring in the pods! :bounce:

I've been looking at mandarins lately and been 50/50 on deciding on training one. Just a random thought because all the pods I've been getting. Here's some links I've been reading on. Great info btw if anyone loves mandarins :D

Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association • View topic - Weaning mandarins to frozen and pellets

Melevsreef.com - Melev's Mandarin Diner

A mandarin would probably go through your pod population in a 20g in a month. And even if you can train a mandarin on frozen food it's still a huge task to keep them f'ed enough. Someone else on the site has one in a 10 or 20g and they can tell you it is a lot of work to keep them alive in such a small tank.

that would be me... some people dont even think im considered successful yet.. ive had my mandarin in my 10 gallon for just over six months and many dont consider mandarin success after a year. its been VERY difficult to maintain any pods, and it requires me to obsess on his diet... even if you packed your tank with liverock and left the pod population to grow longer, a mandarin would quickly wipe out all of them. i do not recomend it, they are very very very tricky fish especially in a tank with less than 100 lbs live rock

Prolly would require a healthy sump & a big ball of chateo crawling with pods too :)

I have had a lot of amphipods lately too its nice! Although all my copepods seemed to disappear : ?

Back