Pods no more....

henryd

Reefing newb
I seem to have lost all of my pods and bristle worms...a few months ago, the tank was crawling with them and I often spent hours after the lights were out watching all kinds of pods and worms come out of the sand and rock. Now nothing!
I am not sure what I could have done to kill it all off? I have been battling hair algea and have been making headway on it with a phosphate reactor so perhaps it is the dying algea that reduced the O2 levels or something? The first are doing fine. Cleaner shrimp is fine. Urchin is fine. The Turbos seemed to dye after a week but the astreas are mowing algea like crazy.
I hate learning at the expense of creatures in the tank.
Thoughts?

They're probably still in there. Pods are hard to kill unless someone eats them all. That's how they survive on the live rock through shipping, cycling, etc. Do you have any fish in there?

This my experience.

When I set up a new aquarium there seems to be a pod explosion after about the first month or two.The glass and sand would be teaming with pods as well as the rocks.As time past,you will see less and less.Fish will consume some but most adapts to the lighting schedule and scurries back into cracks and crevices of the rocks.They are still there,its doubtful that they all but disappear.Try shining a flashlight when the lights are out,you may see some then.

I had a similar problem when I put a bottle of pods in my fuge and a few days later couldn’t find any. Then I realized it’s the light. I think it takes a little practice to really look for them but after you get used to it, your eyes will notice them a lot better. Now I see pods all over the place but only because I know how to look for them. If you just try to look with bright lights on, you will not find them. I always see them when I use a flash light. Not easy to spot but im sure they are all there.

My tank and refugium are well populated with pods. It's easy to spot pods in the refugium. They are out in the open. Too many of them to hide in the refugium.

They are harder to see in the tank. I look down low, near the rocks or on the rocks. I see them all over the place. It's really cool to watch my 6-line wrasse hunting for pods. He swims along and inspects all the rocks. He'll suddenly stop and do a double take. Then he snaps his head sideways and snatches a pod off a rock. I've only seen the actual pod a couple times. Once he "zeros-in" on the pod, it's history in about a second.

Turn out the lights in my display tank and you will see so many pod-- it looks almost scary. I would bet money that I have over 10,000 pods in my system. They are EVERYWHERE.

I also have some type of snail or slug that crawls on the glass with a large foot--like a snail. But, no shell. Biggest ones are about 1/32" long.

I think I'm growing some type of shrimp in my refugium. They look like brine shrimp or miniature krill. They float around and swim by flicking their tails. Only a few hundred of them so far. Haven't been able to spot any in the tank yet.

I swear, the microscopic inverts are just as neat to me as the pretty corals and fish. :shock: It's just so cool how much life is in one of these systems.

My tank and refugium are well populated with pods. It's easy to spot pods in the refugium. They are out in the open. Too many of them to hide in the refugium.

They are harder to see in the tank. I look down low, near the rocks or on the rocks. I see them all over the place. It's really cool to watch my 6-line wrasse hunting for pods. He swims along and inspects all the rocks. He'll suddenly stop and do a double take. Then he snaps his head sideways and snatches a pod off a rock. I've only seen the actual pod a couple times. Once he "zeros-in" on the pod, it's history in about a second.

Turn out the lights in my display tank and you will see so many pod-- it looks almost scary. I would bet money that I have over 10,000 pods in my system. They are EVERYWHERE.

I also have some type of snail or slug that crawls on the glass with a large foot--like a snail. But, no shell. Biggest ones are about 1/32" long.

I think I'm growing some type of shrimp in my refugium. They look like brine shrimp or miniature krill. They float around and swim by flicking their tails. Only a few hundred of them so far. Haven't been able to spot any in the tank yet.

I swear, the microscopic inverts are just as neat to me as the pretty corals and fish. :shock: It's just so cool how much life is in one of these systems.

those things that look like shrimp are probally amphipods there the bigger of pods i got tons in my hang on fuge on my big tank. Need to save some money to get a hang on fuge for my other tank.

watch the things that look like snails without shells that are real small cause they could be flatworms or even some kind of bad nudibranch i'm bettin on flatworms, if so add a sixline wrasse. Work for my 29 gallon when it got flatworms in it.

I do have fish in the tank - 2 clowns, 1 royal gamma, 1 potter angel, 1 algea blenny but they have been in there the whole time. I used to be able to see the pods some during the day and always at night with a flashlight. Now, I cannot find any with the flashlight at night.

where you guys buy pods at?

I have seen a bottle of pods called tiger pods at one of the LFS around here. It is located in the fridge and contains maybe about 100-200 tiny almost microscopic red pods in it. Never bought anythough. Only received some on LR

Brian

i just went to my LFS they didnt have anything for my goby so he told me to take the plants out and scope up the pods .also i came out the store with some snails and a anomone.

give me a coral and ill send yeah 4shrimps with claws when i feed my fish thell come out and grab a piece if the clown doesnt eat it first

if you're hair algae is gone, then you got ride of the pods favorite place to hide. the same thing happened to me. I had TONS of pods. I could shine a flashlight in my tank at night and it looked like i flipped the lights on in a cheap motel. when the hair algae left, so did many of the pods.

Back