pods

Reefgyrl

Reefing newb
Soooo, I am getting an order from Drs f and S tomorrow. I ordered some pods, a couple occelaris, and a velvet nudi. Should I just put the pods in my tank or should I put some of them in my sump? My sump has live rock rubble along with my skimmer.

I'd put a little in both. If you put them in the tank, your fish will enjoy a snack, and some of them will find their way into the rockwork and start breeding. If you put them in the sump, they'll definitely start to establish a breeding population that will sustain the main tank in the future.

Do you have a separate chamber in your sump for the live rock rubble? Most people have their sump divided into sections, with live rock rubble, macroalgae and pods (the refugium) after the section that holds the skimmer so that the pods don't get sucked up.

You could turn your sump return pump off let water calm down add the pods to the refugium and give it a few minutes for them all to settle at the bottom and then turn your pump back on.

Sump, as the population grows more than adequate amounts of pods will be pumped up to display tank to populate the rocks up there. Freshly purchased pods are too expensive to be fed to fish and they would get nearly all the pods placed directly in the diplay tank. There have been studies that have shown nearly all pods and planktonic lives that are present in reef aquarium make it through pumps without harm.

Back