Pom pom crab anemones

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I had a pompom crab in my 10g for awhile. After the last fish loss (7 weeks or so ago) I saw what could have been a molt or the crab being eaten by my nassarius snails. I haven't seen the crab since, and the anemones were still attached to whatever was being eaten so I very well may have lost the crab. A few weeks ago I saw one of the pompom anemones on a rock near the bottom of the tank, then it disappeared (presuming it didn't like the location and moved). This week I've discovered a much larger anemone (few centimeters in diameter) higher up on the rocks in the shade. It looks a little bit like a cross between a majano and a aiptasia, but not exactly like either one. I'm thinking it might be one of the pompoms from the crab that has attached and exploded in size. Is this possible? Should I just kill the thing?

I doubt it's one of the pom poms. As far as I know, they stay small and are quite sensitive so probably wouldn't last on their own, let alone grow (but I'm not an expert). I think it's more likely that it's a majano or aiptasia.

Its just strange - I've never had aiptasia or majanos in this tank, have no cross contamination between this tank and my 90g, and haven't added any corals or rocks to this tank since August. But, then again, stranger things have been known to happen!

Back