Pondering Getting Back In

Fishtails

Reefing newb
So, I basically am thinking of getting back into the hobby, but I'm not completely sure. I want to do a 20L tank setup. I am in dire need of a stand for a 20L though, if anyone could be of any help. I am pretty sure I'll just run a skimmer and/or filter, then run a MH unit. I want to keep this tank simple as possible. Anyone with a small 70/150/175 setup let me know. I also will be needing a 20L stand, this actually being my 1st need, then I would like to look for a light and some LR.

I know I haven't been around for along time, but I plan to actually contribute and do as much as possible this time around. I have a lot more free time now that I'm out of school, but still trying to figure how I'll do when I go off to school, but with a smaller tank I think that'd be much easier to transport.

Thanks CRC,
Alex L.

So, I decided to go ahead and go for it. Since funds are a little better and I have more free time was the ultimate reason I decided to do it.

So, after work today I decided to shop. After buying a 20L tank & wooden stand, 20lb. bag of Ocean Direct Livesand, 50lb. bag of Reef Crystals, and other items like a heater, hydrometer, and other 'necessity' items, my total was less than $130. Man do I love price-matching and employee discounts. This is my cheapest start ever, and I already have my tank going. Now, I'm going to start looking for nice, but AFFORDable liverock as well as a decent skimmer. I have a Seio 620 on the way which should give me plenty of current. Right now the only circulation is a Marineland filter running with carbon to help clear the tank. If any of you know of anyone selling some nice LR and/or a nice VHO or MH retro/pendant, please let me know.

And last but not least, a quick shot. Everything is cloudy, no light, and whatnot, but this is about 10 minutes after filling. Give me a week or two and it should look 10x better.
00000019.jpg

Looks great. Cant wait to see it start getting livestock in it. Keep up the good work. Thats a good dael on a start. In my 30 gal I have a whole lot more than that, but with my 55 fully set up with skimmer, livestock, liverock, and sand the whole thing I got 180.00 but I got some killer deals on stuff with that one.

Thanks. For some reason, something in my mind keeps telling me this will be my best tank yet, so I'm aiming for that. On second thought, maybe it's because my funding is actually adequate this time around, lOl.

I have two 175w blueline ballist only one works but I dont know whitch one it is you are welcome to both of these.

Update: Added 22lbs. LR, ordered my PFO mini pendant, 20K hqi bulb, and will be getting ballast tomorrow from Silvers. Tank is starting off nicely. Just not trying to decide on a skimmer and let it run a few more weeks before I add my first fish, a pair of black clownfish. Probably will add a few snails & crabs in the following days also. Pictures will be up as soon as the tank clears.

Just want to say "Thanks" to Silvers for the ballast. I can't wait to get this setup going. Waiting for bulb and pendant, grr...

Back