Porcupine Puffer Fish

ToMatorClown

NAAO First Lady Mator
Jermpool and I use to have a porcupine puffer fish. It lived for about 18 months before jermpool killed him (accidently). My questions is, feeder fish good or bad. I've heard that they can carry disease and isn't good for them. :question:

You should'nt feed a salt water fish fresh water feeders, because the fresh water feeders do'nt have the stuff salt water fish need and over time it can be bad for the fish. Sorry can't go into more detail about the feeders because I'm not to sure what it is they do'nt have. Im sure somebody with more experience will chime in though. Good luck.

Bobby is correct. Do not feed fresh water fish or food to saltwater fish. Surfice to say that long term will affect the marine fishes health. Research the dietary needs of the fish you are interested in and try to provide that . Feed marine food to Marine fish.

almost all frozen food is of the fresh water variety. mysis, brine, etc. You shouldn't feed any fish feeder fish. if you need to feed live foods to a fish use ghost shrimp.

I love my porcupine puffer, he is really friendly. I often pet him while cleaning or arranging stuff in my tank. Last time I went on vacation I bought 4 clown fish for him. I know it's expensive but it was great meals for him. He left 1 clown fish alive and they are pretty good buds now.

I feed my Puffer and clown fish a "saltwater brine shrimp" meal. The fact that is frozen it gives the puffers teeth good use. This is probably a really stupid question, but are there any saltwater brine shrimp? Or are brine shrimp all freshwater?

I did a search and it said most breeds are fresh water, and a few are salt. Alot of the salt ones come from salt lake city. A friend of mine used to live there and said people would just scoop them up with cups in the dry season to sell.

there are both fresh and salt water mysid shrimp. the ones growing in your fuge are definitely of the salt water variety;). but most of the ones packaged for sale are fresh water mysids (Hikari comes to mind).

refugium. it's a section of the sump where macro algae is grown and pods are provided an environment in which they can grow and multiply with out predation. you can also get one that hangs on the back of your aquarium. a common brand is CPR check them out great addition to any tank.

JellyMan said:
I dont think they would have been able to keep ghost shrimp in stock the way he over fed it.

He would eagerly eat all 6 minows that I would give him, everyday, plus the freeze dried krill. Its just that when he ate the fish he would blow the scales out of his gills.

He tried to top off the water with a hose he had gotten from his mothers house. He didn't run the water before sticking it into the tank so everything that was in the hose went into the tank. His mother has copper piping.

Back