Positioning powerheads

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I got two Koralife 1050's and want to get some tips on how to position them. I have them now at the top of the tank. I did have each, one on both sides of the tank and pointed to the front center. It looked like it was blowing a lot of stuff around so I moved them both to the back wall, one on both side and blowing to front center. Now I only have three medium sized rocks on the sand floor but it looks like there's still a lot of stuff blowing around and I can actually see the sand moving around on the floor of the tank. Any way to position these to minimize stirring up the sand?

And just as I feared, I now hand a bare spot at the bottom of the tank where the sand blew away. Also, I'm pretty sure the yellowtail damsel I have in there is dying and I'd bet that it's because of all the current. I unplugged one of the powerheads.

I have both of mine placed right under my drilled overflows pointing towards the center upwards to the surface.

What size tank do you have? What are the specs?

its just your basic 75 gallon. added the skimmer along with the two powerheads yesterday. three pieces of live rock in the middle of the tank. heater... thats it. temp says about 79 degrees on opposite side of the tank. its about a week and a half into cycling. only think i get a reading on is ammonia which hit .5 yesterday. ph is 8.2. my salinity was higher than normal but not much due to evaporation. i believe it was 1.025.

I have 2x 1200 gph powerheads in my 50g.

If you think you have too much flow just point them upwards toward the surface and facing each other and some of the current will cancel each others out.

P.S. Your damsel is not dieing from too much current

Yep, it died. I'm just going fishless here on out. I got in there and releveled my sand and repositioned the two heads. Hopefully it won't rearrange my sand again.

Back