Possible Aiptasia ?

Lafoo

Reefing newb
Hello, I recently got some fiji live rock and after settling them in, I noticed 'this' growing next to my watermelon mushroom. It's tiny--the diameter is about the size of a pencil eraser. This morning it was gone--and I thought good riddance, something ate it. But it was just dormant, as it's back again. It doesn't appear to have a crevice that it can burrow into that I can see..and I read that aiptasia has a trunk or stem and yet I don't seem to see it on this one.
But then, I don't have expert eyes.
Can someone help ID this? Is it friend or foe? I'm watching my mushroom like a hawk when it brushes its 'fingers' near it.

Much help in advance!
aiptasia1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
That is aiptasia. Your best bet is to buy some Aiptasia X from your fish store and nuke it. If you don't have peppermint shrimp already, you can get a few, and they will help prevent any future "outbreaks".

Ok, I went and bought 2 peppermint shrimps. Did my research on the mistaken identities with the camel and camelback shrimp and I'm pretty sure these are peppermint--they are quite transluscent and no white lines running down to legs. I dropped one by the rock with the aiptasia and s(he) quickly crawled under it. The other one quickly scuttled towards the back in a crevice and I noticed there were a new patch of mini aptasias growing by a nearby rock. So here's hoping!
(They won't eat/bother the other 'good' friends that may show up on the new liverocks?)

Peppermints are mostly nocturnal so there's a chance you'll never see them again, hopefully you'll see your aiptasia disappear though. I have seen my peppermints eat some things that I'd rather them not like bristle worms but, they're generally safe with corals.

I really don't want to confuse you. There are some anemone's that are extremely similar to aiptasia that are NOT aiptasia. I think I killed one of these once and I still feel bad about it. Here is a picture:

db_2_Curly_Que-dsp.jpg

It is a curly cue anemone and it really looks similar to what you've got there but it's hard to tell from your picture.

Good luck,
Catherine

Curly Q Anemones are considered pests to many only because when the grow big (and usually they grow big pretty fast) they tend to be very aggressive in catching and killing fish. They also move around a lot and can quickly sting our corals. JMO but I think you are better off without these things in your tank. Of course there are always exceptions.

Oh it does look a lot like what I have! Mine are so tiny it's really hard to get a good distinct ID on them. The aiptasias that I've seen have usually have a stem/trunk and I don't see it on mine....
So far the peppermints aren't doing anything to them..probably still acclimating to their new world--it's only been 2 days.
The 'questionable aiptasias' are still tiny enough that I don't mind waiting a bit before I pull the trigger. Still, it is making me nervous.

My aiptasia is gone! I haven't see it all day yesterday and one of the peppermint shrimps have already molted (dunno about the other one--seems to be MIA).
And the mini patch of aiptasia that I saw before turned out to be feather dusters. So far, the peppermints aren't bothering them :)

In other LR news..I think I have vermetid snails... :-x

Back