possible de-nitrate reactor equivalent

Bertie

Reefing newb
Bertie is back with another strange idea.

I have this much re-formed Biocube 29, which now has in its middle section back sump a Tunze skimmer and a few rocks. What if I were to make the half of the section, which is now nothing but an empty plastic rectangle, into its own de-nitrator, by simply filling a bag with the pellets? The exit from the Tunze is on the bottom and there are two holes into the final sump section (the one with the circulation pump). If I seal off the bottom hole and drop a mesh bag into the rectangular empty half of the middle sump, water leaving at the bottom of the Tunze skimmer would have to go up to the top exit into the pump section. And if that empty rectangular tube happened to be filled with ne-nitrator pellets, would there be any difference between that and a primitive de-nitrate reactor?

Anybody think it's worth a try? My little system is far too small to take a real reactor cylindar, so it's my only hope for a de-nitrator.

If it's a moronic idea, feel free to say so. (Just don't forget to tell me why!) I don't want to kill a little nano that's plugging along with @10 nitrate all week as it is.
Thanks.

Last edited:
It may work, but not nearly as well as a real de-nitrator or bio pellet reactor - those media's really need to be tumbled and putting them in a media bag in a filter chamber just wont produce the neccesary fluidiation

Have you looked around for nano cube specific reactors? I can't imagine you're the first person to ask this question

Back