Possible flat worm problem!!!

bcasper1979

Reefing newb
My tank is near the end of its cycle, and I am seeing some flat kinda greenish looking things that are moving around the tank. I am worried that they may me flat worms!! Please help!!! This is kinda what they look like!! How can I fix the problem with out spending a ton of money?:frustrat:

Attachments

• Flat worm.jpg
    Flat worm.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 5,200
Yep those are flatworms, but its a pretty easy issue to deal with. Get some flatworm exit and dose the tank as directed. Make sure you suck out all the ones you can see before you dose and then continue to suck them out as you treat. As they die they kinda jump into the water and you will want to catch them then. The flatworm exit is reef safe, but as the flatworms die they release a toxin which is harmful to the rest of your tank, which is why you want to remove them as they die. After that do a water change and run some carbon. That should be the end of them!

I would follow Flatworm Exit with a 50% water change. I have done a gazillion 50% change outs and my tank has never been the worse for it BUT make sure the temp and salinity match very closely. Also, keep in mind that some species of flatworms are benign (harmless),. Personally I would not take a chance, and go ahead with Flatworm Exit.

+1 lilfish and sen...at least there are no fish yet, right? No need to worry about killing livestock with their toxins. I probably have some in my tank. I know my old sump had some; not sure if they ever made it to my dt. But I never see them in the main tank because I think my 6 line eats them all.

Yes six lines have been known to eat them but I would not go and buy one and expect him to eat them or to fully clear the tank. I would use the exit as well.

I just spoke with a guy at my lfs an he said since I don't have any fish yet... Just do a %50 change with strait RO/IO water!! He said that flat worms do not like major salinity changes. I think I will do both and see what really works! Since no fish yet I think eather would be safe! I will for sure DIP everything from now on!!!! What do you all think about the RO/IO salinity change?

It might kill some of them, so you very well could end up with a major infestation when you do have fish and corals. Plus you will then have to fix the salinity before you can add any fish or corals.

So I decided to go with a product called Worm RX. My LFS said that he has used it in the past and it has worked very well for him. I put it in this morning, and I have noticed that the worms are not moving anymore, so I am assuming that it worked. The LFS guy said since I didn't have any live stock in the tank yet to put a double dose in, and then do a 50% water change after 24hrs. He also said that I should do a big water change again before I put live stock in the tank. Should be in about a week!!!:D:D

So I decided to go with a product called Worm RX. My LFS said that he has used it in the past and it has worked very well for him. I put it in this morning, and I have noticed that the worms are not moving anymore, so I am assuming that it worked. The LFS guy said since I didn't have any live stock in the tank yet to put a double dose in, and then do a 50% water change after 24hrs. He also said that I should do a big water change again before I put live stock in the tank. Should be in about a week!!!:D:D

You may have to do multiple treatments but with a big double dose maybe not.

And don't forget to siphon out the dead ones. You can siphon them while catching them with a mesh net, so you can put your water back in. Then do you rwater changes and run some carbon.

Back