possible new strain of growth?

mach1ray

Reefing newb
I posted the same at another site and so far I cant seem to get an answer as to what I have groing in my tank. I've ben battling this stuff for a little over a year now and cant seem to get rid of it.

I've tried peroxide dips, plucking and it only seems to get it pissed off. Can anyone identify what this hairy stuff is? Unlike hair algae, this stuff does not brush off. I've notice it leaving a skeleton behind after sun bleaching the rocks.

It doesnt let anything grow around it, regardless of how litte there is on a rock. It even growths on my crabs and snails. it is a very drack brown with short hairs. no polyps at the end of the strands you see in the pics. the last 3 pics on the last page shows them agitated from the peroxide but did not die off. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

New form of growth?

Sure here are some of the pics. Follow the link for more.
8805545f.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t483/mach1ray/472745c7.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t483/mach1ray/fd8bba9c.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t483/mach1ray/7c9157da.jpg

Last edited:
I can see this pic and the one linked to but no others - when I take out the end of the link to just try to see your photobucket site I get a forbidden message.

But from the pics, I wonder if you've ruled out red turf algae?

yes, red turf algae has been ruled out. thjis is hairy and not lettucy. It is a freaking nightmare to get rid of. I've gone as far as killing off my live rocks with the exception of those with coral growing on them, only to get it right back from the ones not killed off.

Red turf isn't lettuce like. It is rough hairy like. And a pain to get rid of. That is what it looks like to me in your first link under the picture. The other ones look different though.

I am so desparate I will try anything. Stop Aptasia is on my shopping list. I will post an update. thanks for chiming in!

Yeah, I think Sen found that both large turbos and emerald crabs eat red turf. He also found that using H2O2 squirted right on the algae was a whole lot cheaper than aptasia x!

Well I tried dipping in peroxide for 30+ seconds but it: seemed to tick it off. Didn't kill it. I will include turbos but prefer to stay away from the emeralds.

Was it the peroxide that took a few days to actually show the effects? I think the thread said something like 4-5 days, so I'd give it a few days before deciding it didn't work. We'll help you beat this - its been done before and can be done again :)

No I actually did it yesterday and it looked flared up. So you think I should give it a few days before trying the aptasia killer?

Yeah, I'd give it a few days. In Sen's thread (that Biff linked to) he said it took several days before you would actually see the effects of the H2O2 - I think it was something like 4-5 days; its towards the end of that thread that he and another person talk about the H2O2. I'd wait a few days to see how it reacts. And in the mean time I would add a few large (2+ inch) turbos.

Back