Possible Tank Switch

squibley2

Reefing newb
There is a chance that I might be getting a 55G tank from a friend of a friend for free. I can't run the new tank without getting rid of one of the other tanks (no room). I was thinking of moving everything from the 20G SW tank into the 55G and putting the 20G to use as a sump. I have a spot I think I can hide it but it will be tight. I was wondering about a few things if I do undertake this.

1) Best practices for moving stuff from one tank to the other?
2) How soon after the move to I need to upgrade the filter and alike if I don't increase bioload and just tank size at first?
3) How would I use the 20G as a sump?
4) Best way to plumb the sump? (the way I am thinking of setting it up they would be about 2-3' apart)
5) (the eternal question) should I upgrade to MH?

I know john I should read the helpful articles. LOL J/K
Thanks guys

man... took 5 tries to get to the post screen...

Anyways. I can only say that im getting dual 175 mh for my 55 on wednesday or thursday. But I want to keep birdnest and acropora. If you dont want the more intense light needy corals, mh really isnt all that needed. Some t5 would be another good choice to look into.

Bag fish and coral place in a foam cooler to keep the water at the exsisting tempature.Rock you can add to 5 or gallon bucket or can.Add the extra new sand and premixed saltwater(fill maybe half way) to the new tank.Add either some live that is fully cured and has been in a holding tank or possibley some dry base rock form hirock.com.
Bring over water and exsisting sand and add to the new tank.Filteration you will probley need some more power heads or other type pumps for added flow..Your may be used or replaced.Depends on model specs and were you want to mont it tank or the sump/ refugium.If the new tank does not have plummed holes for input and output.You will need a overflownylon nut and bolt
Two plastic grids
1 ¼" outflow hose
1 ¼" U-tube
1 ¼" PVC connector (already assembled)
Sponge pre-filter

1. Place the larger of the two plastic grids in the bottom of the bio-chamber, fill with your choice of bio-media, cover with drip tray assembly and place into sump.

2. Connect the skimmer box and overflow using the nylon nut and bolt. Slip one end of the 1 ¼" tubing over the connecter at the bottom or the overflow box and retain with hose clamp. Hang the skimmer and overflow on your aquarium and insert the other end of the 1 ¼" tubing in the hole on the top of the drip tray assembly. Put the small plastic grid and pre-filter sponge in the overflow box on the side where you connected the 1 ¼" tubing. Place the U-tube inside the skimmer and overflow box on the opposite side called the prime hold chamber.

3. Drill a small hole, about 1/8" into the end of the J-tube, just below where your water level will be, for anti-siphon. Connect the bottom of the J-tube return hose (not included) to a powerhead or pump of your choice and place in sump. If using a powerhead make sure the hose covers the air venture completely to ensure maximum flow. Hang the top of the J-tube on the back of your aquarium and fill the sump with aquarium water until the level reaches the bottom of the bio-chamber. Next, fill the prime hold chamber with water and prime the filter to start the siphon process. To prime filter, insert a length of airline tubing into the U-tube on the overflow side, suck the air out of the tube and remove. Make sure your connections are tight prior to starting filter!

5) (the eternal question) should I upgrade to MH?
Yes if you want high light coral and clams.

Ok it looks like I am going to get the 55 I won't know for absolutely sure for a couple days but it is looking like it. I am also going to be selling all my equipment from this tank to a buddy at work who is starting a tank. I am also going to be getting rid of the yellowtail when I do the tank switch.

So I was planning on going with
MH not sure on size yet but I will get there. (probably have to build a canopy first)
I will also be upgrading filter and skimmer and maybe heater.
I was just hoping for some advise on brands and models from everyone for this 55. I am on a little bit of a tight budget right now (engagement ring and house are top of the list for available cash) so I am trying to stay as economical as possible.

Thanks

Back