POTM suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I saw this on another forum and thought something like this (doesn't have to be exact) might be a good idea to keep things interesting and more fair. One thing I notice is that some pics don't get many votes like full tank shots, macros are more popular, some people get tired of seeing clowns in anemones, etc, etc. If the POTM was a little more structured and had a theme I could see a few advantages. And then at the end of the year, we would still do POTY, and every pic would be vastly different.

What say you? :D

Here's the list i ganked off another site.

January: SPS
February: Fish
March: Clams
April: Anything goes
May: Anemones
June: Full Tank
July: LPS
August: Anything goes
September: Softies
October: Out of the ordinary
November: Crustaceans
December: Full Tank

We discussed this idea before -- at the time we didn't really have enough entries to make it viable. I think that now more people are participating, it would work.

Another thing is that it would make people focus on shots other than the easy and the obvious.

If we did it that way would we be able to take pictures of other peoples tanks for items that we do not have? Because I dont have SPS or clams. Or does that mean that I will be SOL for that month? Because I like participating but wouldnt be able to because I dont own some of those items?

Jenna

Well, the list for topics would be published beforehand right? Jenna, that just means we have to go out and get new stuff!! J/K but, it does sound like a good idea though. And while we're throwing out suggestions, how about only amateur photographers in the contest .... ahem ... dennis :wink:

i like the idea but we would need ALOT of people entering. I think if we did that now we'd have very few entries each month...

If we did it that way would we be able to take pictures of other peoples tanks for items that we do not have? Because I dont have SPS or clams. Or does that mean that I will be SOL for that month? Because I like participating but wouldnt be able to because I dont own some of those items?

Jenna

I think we should still only allow pictures of your own tank. I could go to my LFS and take amazing shots of really great corals otherwise, and that wouldn't be fair to anyone else.

Jenna

I don't have sps yet either so ya, I would be sol that month. lol :lol:

Or maybe we come up with other themes that offer a little more like sps/lps. Or just "Coral".
I'm thinking we could even do a theme like "Green" that is more general. Those suggestions were just taken from another website so we could come up with our own.
And another idea could be that the winner of each month has to come up with next months challenge. But there was something about seeing the whole year set in stone ahead of time that I kind of liked. I dunno. :scratchch

Well, the list for topics would be published beforehand right? Jenna, that just means we have to go out and get new stuff!! J/K but, it does sound like a good idea though. And while we're throwing out suggestions, how about only amateur photographers in the contest .... ahem ... dennis :wink:

Hey, i'm a graphic designer! I swear! :-)
That photography stuff is just my weekend...errr... "hobby". :mrgreen:

Hey, i'm a graphic designer! I swear! :-)
That photography stuff is just my weekend...errr... "hobby". :mrgreen:

Uh-huh...a nice li'l hobby you got there....you even have a logo! LOL Should we just give Dennis his OWN potm from his stash? "D2's POTM" or "All D2, All the Time!"

Down, boy...I was just JOKING! Get that hopeful look of your face :D

:mrgreen:

I think Dennis is dead on..it does seem like the same type of pics win every time, and I'd like to see some variety as well!

Whether the themes are less specific than Den's or as specific, I think a theme would be great.

And while I don't like to exclude anyone, I think it's okay if once in a while someone can't enter because they don't have that type of coral or something that meets the criteria. It may give someone else a leg up that time, but the next time around, you might be one of the few who has a good entry...

lol, i can't help it if people want to pay me for my hobby. :bounce:
I do like keeping it a hobby though. At one time i liked doing the graphic design thing... now it's just work after doing it all day every day for the past 15 years. :grumble:

Now if I could just figure out how to get my reef hobby to pay for itself.:scratchch

I think this would make it alot more fun and more challenging. I am for it. I like the idea of rather than doing specific "sps" do "coral" and maybe rather than doing "clams" you could do "things with shells".

Just an idea so everyone can participate.

Jenna

Yeah I like the coral...fish...non coral invert...rotation? We always seem to get a lot of fish pictures... not that its a big deal but there are a lot of really cool things in our tanks that I think get missed.

I'm game...sounds like more of a challenge (not that I've ever won :))....but at least it's not so general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back