Powder Blue Tang Eating

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
I recently purchased a powder blue tang from my LFS. The guy at the store said he was an herbivore and would eat algae on the rocks in the tank. I have 50 lbs. of live rock but my tank just got done cycling a month ago, so there is not that much on the rocks. I have a clip with some seaweed, and he seems to like that. He spends most of his time looking for food on the rocks, and I am just concerned he is not getting enough food. The guy at the LFS said he should start eating the brine I provide for the other fish, but so far he has not. Just want to make sure he is happy.

First off, brine is useless, get a good frozen or pellet food ( such as New Life Spectrum pellets. You also can feed seaweed to keep the rang happy. I have 4 tangs in my tank and I have little to no algae on my rocks, but I put a seaweed sheet in the tank daily

North is right -- brine shrimp are like Doritos for fish. Very little substance. :D Mysis shrimp is a better choice.

A good frozen food for tangs is Emerald Entree, which you can find at Petco or Petsmart. If he is eating algae sheets and grazing at the rocks, I wouldn't worry. Grazing is natural behavior.

Powder blue tangs are very delicate tangs -- some of the more difficult tangs to keep alive in captivity. Having him in such a small tank is only going to make that challenge even more difficult. They really need larger tanks, since they get stressed and sick so easily. You look at that fish funny and he will break out in spots. Good luck with him!

I have tried mysis shrimp but my clown doesnt like them. He just spits them out. I will go to petsmart tomorrow and see if they have the emerald entree or the aforementioned pellets. Thanks for the help.

Your clown will eat mysis when he gets hungry enough, I would still go with it!
I also second the NLS pellets, they are also a good choice

I have a frozen mixed seafood that has something for all my fish. Try looking for one that has a mixture including meat and veggies

Back