Powder Blue Tang?

Doc

I don't work for anybody
Has anyone had any luck with a powder blue tang for more than 3 months? They are so tempting, but common sense and many people have convinced me to avoid that species. I still hold onto that fantasy, but I was wondering if there is anyone who has had luck with that fish?

Dr Marco :sfish:

humu is nice and pretty, but not fish friendly lol. Once they grow up some, he's going to be a devil. A local guy has a nice nice powder blue in his lps tank. Its only about 1 1/2 foot high, but its 6 feet long and about 3 feet wide. He hauls ass all over the tank.

I know of a couple of people having success with that type of fish,but like everyone says they are very hyper active.I wish I could give it a shot......

Powder Blues and Regals both have a bad reputation of being hard to keep. I keep my tank temp withing +- 1 degree of 78.5 all the time with a chiller and don't experience alot of the same issues as other people that I know that have a 5-8 degree shift in temp throughout the day with lighting etc.

Keep the temp constant, don't have any other fish that would bully/pick on it and feed them plenty of algea foods and you should be fine.

Of course don't put either in a tank smaller than 75 gallons.

Brandon

And just so Someone doesn't jump in with a comment.....

Yes I had a regal tang in a 55, but I had full intentions of upgrading to a 100 before he out grew the tank, which I have already done.

I also only had the Regal and two clowns in the entire tank.

Brandon

my powder tang is 3 years old i taught they where really easy this is the first time i herd of them being hard to keep

Last edited:
I have heard from several "reefers" (those that keep reef tanks - not drug addicts) that Powder Blue Tangs are Ich magnets, that they are hard to feed (changing temps may be the cause of that), and that they are mean as hell (can I write that word and not offend everyone?). My 125 should be big enough, although I do have a Regal Tang (who seems to get Ich once every time a new fish is added) who is full grown. I have heard they will not get along very well. My dream would be to have a Powder Blue two months after I move my shark into his own tank. I do not want to add a fish that will just die and make my other fish sick (lost an entire tank of fish at the start thanks to a Moorish Idol who got sick) . I do have a UV sterilizer that seems to work OK. Please give me your opinions. Thanks in advance.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I would have to have a quarantine tank for tangs alone lol. Keep them in there for 2 months to observe and feed. Should help. The guy that has his in the lps frag tank said he qt'ed that perticular fish for 2 months... He got ich once and it went away with treatment. He kept up on how he feed and times. When he brought him into the new tank, he kept the exact feeding times just for him.

I had a Powder Blue tang for about 5 years and he was a great fish. Never ever had an Ick problem. He was agressive and would beat the heck out of any new fish I introduced to the tank, 180 gal. I would have to turn off the lights then add the newbie and then it was a 50/50 chance he would survive. He finally met his demise when he got too close to a 15" diameter Green Carpet anenome that I used to have in the tank, he was quickly swallowed and I wasn't around to save him. Awesome fish though and will definitely have another one in the future. He is definitely missed.

Back