powder brown and yellow tang picking on each other

badcop804

Reefing newb
I just added a beautiful Powder Brown tang to my tank today and now my yellow tang who usually hides out all day is acting tough and picking on him. Will they work it out and be okay? I do have over a hundred pounds of live rock, so there should be plenty of hiding spaces. I would hate to wake up to two dead tangs tomorrow.

Not always. Lots of times, tangs will fight to the death. In a smallish sized tank like yours, I'd say you are maxed out at one tang. You can try rearranging the rocks so that they can establish new territory, or just wait and see if they'll stop on their own.

what is the update on the tangs? Did the fighting stop? I agree that a 72 is probably not big enough for both tangs. Since they stress easily and Ich tends to be an issue with stress, I fear that both will end up sick or worse if the fighting continues.

-Doc

So far.....so good. They live on different sides of the tank and don't really pay that much attention to each other anymore. I think having so much live rock really helped. After the first day they were fine but that first day was horrible.

Back