powder brown tang with ich

i think that you treat crypt or ich with copper so it will kill your inverts. if you have a qt tank use it but if not than dont medicate the tank as you will kill the inverts with copper. also many meds that say reef safe are not safe at all.

Powder brown tangs are ich magnets... Very delicate and sickly fish, especially in a smallish tank of your size.

Do not medicate the fish in your tank. If you use medication, it will kill off your live rock and sand, and will kill all your inverts. If you decide to treat the fish, it should be done in a separate quarantine tank.

Most of the time, ich will go away on its own if you minimize stress to the animal and feed them vitamin supplements (like Selcon) and soak their food in garlic extract. But I really do think your tank is too small for that fish, and that ich will be a recurring problem with it since it needs much more swimming space than that.

k well i talked to my LFS and he agreed to take my ich infested powder (he said because he didnt mention to tell me it was "sencitive" he said he can offer me a small 2-3inch coral beauty he said they are hardier

hes gonna treat it and i guess resell it IDK he being cool about it so .....
any comment on this ANYONE

Chalk it up to a lesson learned about not researching your fish selections. Just have to be careful in what you add to any tank. Find a fish you like then read about it then buy if its still appropriate and desired. Sucks though he was a gorgeous fishy

Now that you introduce Ich into your system.It will always be present unless you stay fish free for a couple of months.I'm not saying to wait several months but adding any fish during that time has a good chance of getting Ich as well.Stock up on selcon and garlic extract to soak fish food.It will lesson the severity of outbreaks and even preventing it from showing up again.

Now that you introduce Ich into your system.It will always be present unless you stay fish free for a couple of months.I'm not saying to wait several months but adding any fish during that time has a good chance of getting Ich as well.Stock up on selcon and garlic extract to soak fish food.It will lesson the severity of outbreaks and even preventing it from showing up again.

i tought ich was ALWAYS present it just mattered how sencitive the fish were and how good their immune system was hum ok thanks

Ich will ALWAYS be present as long as you have fish.Ich will die-off if you keep your system fish free for several months......but who really does that?Thats why I recommend a vitamin enhancer and garlic to lesson those chances of outbreaks.

woah *phew you scared me their lol hanks for the tip will do

reefreek any thought on the coral beauty

i tolfd my LFS to lemme think about it while i do some research i read that min tank should be 30gal

caution in a reef tank (what caution should i take)

and thats its concidered "easy" to take care of

so does give me a Green light

Last edited:
The choice to get another fish now is up to you.''With caution'' means that they may or may not nip on corals.

well with my nemo dead and that powder gone my tank is empty exept for hitchhiker worms my turbo snails and my hermits so no active "swimming" i even took my CBS back to my friend damb P.O.crap

Ich will ALWAYS be present as long as you have fish.Ich will die-off if you keep your system fish free for several months......but who really does that?Thats why I recommend a vitamin enhancer and garlic to lesson those chances of outbreaks.

This is wrong. Ich dies within four days if it is not attached to a fish host. Ich is only in an unhealthy tank, or on unhealthy fish. in the wild, fish are immune to ich. so, your tank will be ich free within a week if there are no fish in it. just be cautious though, after having a severe case of ich, fish are suseptable to both fungal and bacterial infections.

This is wrong. Ich dies within four days if it is not attached to a fish host. Ich is only in an unhealthy tank, or on unhealthy fish. in the wild, fish are immune to ich. so, your tank will be ich free within a week if there are no fish in it. just be cautious though, after having a severe case of ich, fish are suseptable to both fungal and bacterial infections.
Welcome to LR :)

That's quite the statement for your 1st post. Maybe you should do some research before making such claims. Please take the time to read these articles. They will show almost everything you are saying is incorrect.
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

wow talk about misinformation!

Welcome to LR :)

That's quite the statement for your 1st post. Maybe you should do some research before making such claims. Please take the time to read these articles. They will show almost everything you are saying is incorrect.
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Some of the best articles i have read for ich and its prevention.Short stuff,we are all here to help eachother,so don't take it the wrong way

Wow,one post and it's not even an introduction.You were almost right about one thing.Fish rarely ever get Ich in the wild.That doesn't make them immune to it though.

Back