Power Backup

Reefster

Reefing newb
I have a new 90g reef and fish tank. Worried about upcoming winter and possible power outages. Dies not happen much where i am, but u am spending a small fortune and would hate to lose it due to power. What are options? Is it possible to use just battery backup?

Depends on if you're looking at long term or short term outages. Your best option is to get a generator. You can get a decent one for under $300. A battery backup is unable to power resistive loads (like a heater) for very long at all. (if it can even handle the amperage)

A battery backup for a small pump or battery powered airstone is a great short term power outage solution.

The initial most critical thing is air in the tank - once the power goes out, dissolved o2 can drop rapidly. Temperature should be resistant to change in a tank that large, so it could probably go without a heater for at least half a day depending on how cold it is.

Trying to look for options besides a generator due to the noise and probable neighbor complaints. I would not be able to keep it running overnight.

Does a little heater use that much amp?

I have a battery backup that automatically kicks on to power a single powerhead. My backups beyond that incude connecting to the neighbors (they're on a different grid) or running an inverter from my car long enough to heat the tank. I would also wrap the tank in blankets to reduce heat loss.

If the power is out and you're running a generator, I don't think the neighbors really have much of a leg to stand on for noise complaints. New models aren't very loud at all and you could always put it in a big rubbermaid to help reduce the noise.

BUT, if a generator isn't your route, a battery backup will be fine. I'd recommend a big UPS that is designed to keep a small office running (they're usually like $150) as opposed to one that just runs a relatively low watt computer.
Yes, a heater uses a lot of amps. A small hydor pump runs at 10 watts, which is only .09 amps at normal household voltage. A small 150 watt heater, on the other hand, uses 1.3 amps, so it's draining 14 times as fast! (more or less)

I have all my tanks running on generator ( by far the best route)
When mine kicks on you cant hear it in the front yard even... The ones built nowadays are extremely quiet and efficient and if a neighbor did complain I would just tell him suffer with the little bit of noise and to call the power company to speed up the recovery..

Back