Power Cut off device.

Massey

Reefing newb
Hey guys!

Well I got my new sump up and running really good now but I have one little problem with it; if power goes out and back on my syphon will not start back up for my overflow and will cause my tank to over flow before my sump is dry. I know about the self priming overflows but I dont think that my current system will accept the priming pump. A new OF will be in the future but before I get there I want to keep my sump pump off after a power failure so that I can restart it all when I get home. I have seen these little relays before but I cant find any now. They are kinda like an add on GFI but they trip when power is lost and will not be able to recouple until power has been applied and you push the "on" button again. Can any one direct me to what these are actually called or where I can buy one? Thanks in advance.

Massey

I know what your talking about but im not sure of what it actually called.You should be able to find one at any hardware store or electrical supply .

Well, after quite a bit of hunting, I think I've found something.

According to thomasnet.com, "The inexpensive SENSING-SAF-START® is the easy way to prevent small machines from restarting after a power interruption. After the power has been restored the SENSING-SAF-START® will not reset until the machine switch has been turned "off."

The SENSING-SAF-START® replaces the power cord on small machines like table saws and drill presses, so they will conform to the latest O.S.H.A. and N.F.P.A. safety standards by disconnecting the machine's power during a power loss and keeping the power to the machine switch "off" after the power is restored. This prevents any accidents which could result from the machine restarting unexpectedly.

SENSING-SAF-STARTS® are available in three 120-volt styles and one 240-volt single phase style. All are Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.® component recognized."

Here's a link to the product:
JDS Products - Main Page - http://www.jdsproducts.com//index.cfm

And here's one to the article on thomasnet.com:
Power CordSensor provides anti-automatic restart protection., JDS Products, Inc.

Let me know if this helps!!!

Last edited:
Matthew thank you that is exactly what I was looking for. Now I know what they are called and I should be able to find one locally. Thank you again you guys are great.

Massey

More than welcome Massey, tried finding it through some national hardware store chains, but didn't have any luck. Glad it was what you were looking for!!!

I went out to Lowes and HD tonight and the associate gave me the deer in the headlights look and then told me that I dont want a safety shut off I want a GFI. I kindly told them I know what I want and I already have a GFI in the circuit. Again they said that I dont need what I want and the GFI would protect my pump from a surge. LOL yes I know this but it will not protect the water from the FLOOR!!! I may just have to order one from an online source.

Massey

LTMS (laughs to myself).....Ya know, sometimes I really wonder about the people working in those places.....

I don't know if you can order straight from the manufactuer or not, but that might be the best root to take!!! Good luck on getting a hold of something to "protect the water from the FLOOR!!!" (Classic line btw.)

EDIT: I stopped by the manufactuers site just to see if you can order directly, and they have two links you can click on the go to a retailer's site.
Here are the retailer's pages, and from what I've seen they're kinda proud of these little gizmos:

UL&#174 Sensing Saf-Start&#153 Device - Lab Safety Supply
McMaster-Carr

The first link didn't take nearly as long to load, and I think it might be a hair cheaper from them too...by like $5.00, but if you order 3 or more, you get an additional $4.70 discount!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I don't know how inclined you are to do it yourself projects or electrical wiring but you can accomplish the same thing with a contactor and a 24v transformer. Cool thing about using a seperate 24v circuit is you can wire in float valves, wet switches, and solenoid shutoff valves. You can get most of the stuff from an electrical supply store for very little cash. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it though if they don't know at least the basics for electrical wiring and operation.

Massey said:
I went out to Lowes and HD tonight and the associate gave me the deer in the headlights look and then told me that I dont want a safety shut off I want a GFI. I kindly told them I know what I want and I already have a GFI in the circuit. Again they said that I dont need what I want and the GFI would protect my pump from a surge. LOL yes I know this but it will not protect the water from the FLOOR!!! I may just have to order one from an online source.

Massey

The funny thing about what they told you is that the GFI protects the pump from the surge. Surge protectors do that. GFI's protect people from electric shock by sensing if any current isnt returning back into the outlet and instead going through a person to ground. I know that it is an obscure fact here but just wanted to let everyone know that GFI's will not protect equipment from a surge. They protect you from accidental electric shock if say the pump is faulty and you put your hand in the tank and are touching something that is grounded.

Brian

Yea I could build one and I have thought about that as well but for now I will just go with the upflow pump from Foster and Smith, This will prolly work out better anyway. Thanks for the help guys.

Massey

Back