Power filter for reef aquarium?

silverfly

Reefing newb
Hi All,
I have been researching my bum off to make sure I set up my first saltwater tank properly. I originally wanted to get a canister filter because I plan to have a significant amount of live rock and only really needed the mechanical and chemical filtration. However, I will be placing my aquarium on a "mantle" in my house and there is no storage space below for any sump setups or canister filters. I ultimately want a reef setup, but I'm starting slow.

So here are my questions:

1. Can I use a power filter to effectively filter my saltwater tank?
2. Can I still use a canister filter that sits at the same level as my aquarium?
3. Will a power filter and protein skimmer be sufficient filtration for a reef aquarium?

Thanks!

Are you sure it's going to be okay on a mantle? A gallon of saltwater weighs approximately 9 pounds. Add in 1 to 2 pounds per gallon of live rock, and a few extra pounds for sand, and you're looking at even a small tank weighing several hundred pounds! I wouldn't recommend putting a saltwater tank on anything but the floor, or a sturdy stand!

Sarah,
It's not really a mantle. It's more like a counter top. It's hard to explain, but it can handle the weight. I have my 46g on top of it right now.

Oh okay. Then you may want to look into one of the all-in-one setups that will hide all your equipment. Some popular brands are Red Sea Max and BioCube.

If not one of those, then you can definitely use a hang-on-back protein skimmer. I would advise against using a power filter or canister filter at all. They are hard to maintain and often lead to poor water quality in reef tanks. If you have live rock, then a good protein skimmer will be all the filtration you need. It's very rare to see a reef tank that uses a canister filter or power filter because they just don't work well for saltwater and are often counter productive.

What fun is that? If you're gonna go saltwater, might as well go big. 75g or bust! :)

I'm looking into doing live rock (1lb per gallon) and a protein skimmer. Now I just have to find a quality skimmer that will fit in the space I have.

IMO I would just go with LR and a skimmer. That`s all you need to have a good SW tank. Later on if you decide to get a Refugium that will be a plus.

Cool, thanks. I think I'll go for the live rock / skimmer route. I'm looking at the Turboflotor skimmer. It seems to be perfect for my setup which will be hanging on the back of the tank.

Maybe even a couple HOB emperors to get you started.I had 2 400's on my 75 for the first year or so.They worked great.Oh,i don't really want to burst your bubble,but a 75 in the salt world really is not that big of a tank.Also ,check CL in your area,always tons of used stuff on it.....cheap too.

Back