Power head adjustment

nobody

Reefing newb
How should my power heads be place and what angle of adjustment should I use in a 125gal. tank? I have 2 1300gpm ones. Also at what angles should my pump returns be pointed?

Hate to say this, but each tank is different and it is going to take some trial and error.

A good place to start is with them aiming slightly up where they create a rippling on the water surface. This allows propped gas exchange. You also want to tray and create a random flow in the tank with out any dead spots. This helps detrius from collecting on the sand bed. Once again all trial and error.

At this time I have them pointed up and or towards the front glass. The tank is full of fresh water for testing and I see two areas one at each end that the particles seem to settle. I presume this may be where stuff may settle. I presume that this is where I will siphon from to clean the sand. I this correct or should I change things?

On another question I have an overflow typy tank. How is the pariticles in the water column filtered out?

Theyll eventually get to the overflow box.

And no, I would try to adjust a little more or pick up another powerhead, 750 at a minimum.

General rule is about 30x water volume in GPH, so a 125 Gal would need aprox.3750 GPH split between two or three powerheads. Hope that helps.

In a 125 gallon tank, I would be using 4 powerheads.

At the least!!!

And also keep in mind that once you add rock,the flow patterns are gonna change.So what may be a low flow area in bare tank,might be getting high flow once the rock is in there.

Back