power head placement

sicklids

salt water dummy
what do you guys think?

powerhead.jpg

From what I can see the placement now looks best. You can also try and place them at opposite ends of the tank pointed at each other. You want to try and get the most random flow possible.

I'd probably add 2 in the back,center.Aimed at each from corner.Then once on each end aimed at each other.
But you'll have to play with the placement some to get your flow pattern right according to your rock work.

Circulation30g.JPG

This is a top view of my 30g tank. Both powerheads are at the top of the tank. The brown stuff is supposed to be my rockwork and shelves, but it didn't turn out quite right. :shock:

The right side is a MJ1200. It's mounted on the top. It has one of those Hydor rotating heads. It slows down the flow, but not as much as I expected. It's perfect for this size tank. It's quite turbulent in this little 30g tank for corals. Even my LPS are flappin' in the breeze a little bit. I do clean the rotating assembly monthly though. It gets crusty and starts getting stuck for a second or two towards the end of the month. Takes 2 minutes to clean it.

The powerhead on the back is also mounted near the top. It points straight forward. The little flat deflecter shlied is pointed up slightly (45*) to make the water roll/boil on the surface.

The left side MJ goes into the skimmer section of the HOB refugium. Return on the right.

Back