Power head running in reverse?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
While doing a water change today, I noticed one of my Koralia 750s didn't seem to be working well. I figured it was time for a good cleaning anyway. What I found out, is that it was running backwards. I reversed the plug and it still ran backwards. (Really didn't think this would change anything, but figured I would try it.) Very strange. I took it apart and cleaned it up. Stuck it in a bucket just to check it and it was working fine.

Anyone else ever have this happen? Do I have a bad unit? It seems to be okay now. Should I expect total failure soon?

Koralias have a reputation for doing that... Especially if they've been on a wavemaker.

Thus why i went with the sicce powerheads instead. :Cheers:

It happens. Not going to go into much explanation as to why, but it has something to do with it being a single phase motor and how they get it to go the right way.

There is a stop on the koralias that is to kick the prop back into going the right way if it is going backwards. It can get worn out or gunked up with :pooh: which prevents it from doing its job. Cleaning it frequently helps keep these going the right way.

I've never been able to get more than a year out of a Koralia. Several would run in reverse even after being torn down and re-assembled, others would just stop working. After my last one had issues I decided it was time for Vortechs - havent looked back since

Over here if you plug it into the inlet power in the wall the wrong way round, the propeller spins the wrong way sometimes, hahah i kid you not, and then you just unplug and stick the forks in the opposite hahah

Back