Power Head??

WWS

Reefing newb
Should I have a power head in my 30 gallon tank? The reason I am asing is because with a power head in the tank I am running temps about 2 - 3 degrees warmer than without one. I think that my return pump provides plenty of current for the tank, and plus I have a rotating return head on the output of the tank return.

Last edited:
it is up to you. fish and corals enjoy current. remember, the goal is to mimic the ocean. You don't want to run the risk of blowing away your corals, but also don't want dead spots where cyanobacteria can grow. I have found that creating a vortex in the tank with opposing current makes for a nice, even flow thru your tank.

it also depends on your fish. My powder blue thrives on current. That is one of the reasons many don't survive in captivity. They are usually found in the wave breaks, with tons of current. In tanks, they tend to nervously pace back and forth and eventually waste away. I have two powerful powerheads on either end of my tank. plus the return pump. I find my powder blue floating in front of the powerhead at night, just surfing the powerful current. It is pretty cool to watch.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I'm a little shock that one powerhead could raise the temperature that much.What brand are you using?Like Doc said,fish and corals love current.It build strong bones and muscle.Then again,the choice is up to you.

With the lights off and the power jet out of the tank, the water temp is at a good 80.5 degrees with the lights on (no power head) the temps will get up to about 82 or a little over and with the power head almost 85 degrees.

The store where I bought my equipment sold me a maxi - jet 1200 power head rated for 295 gallons per hour. Maybe this is too much for a 30 gallon tank. It would be nice to be able to control the water output of the power head, do they sell one?

Some powerheads come with a flow control valve like the Rios.I don't think Maxi-jets do.I'm not even sure if they can even handle the back pressure.If you feel theres enough flow than just leave it out.Maxis are some great powerheads,its still hard to believe that it heats up the water that much.I believe you but I'm scratching my head.

Try adding some cooling fans if you have a canopy. I had a little trouble with high temps in hot weather with my lights on so I added a 5 inch cooling fan to the canopy and all is fine. I think it is a good idea to add power heads. One maxijet 1200 is not even close to being too much. I was running 2 365GPH power heads in my 30 along with a skimmer and HOB filter and I think it was near perfect flow. I did recently pull one of the 365 GPH powerheads out because I needed it for my 55, but I replaced it with a maxijet 1200.

That'sthe same powerhead I got for my sisters 30 gallon tank and her temperture is consistent. The tank is open on the top. Her light has a fan built in. Do yours? I've been thinking of getting her another one for the other side.

maybe its a defective MJ...... water + electricity= possable heat issues

Thats what I'm thinking too.Any time a powerhead puts out that much heat,theres a problem some where.

When I had my 30 set up as a reef,I had 4 MJ-1200s in it.And never once had any heat issues.

I've got 2 MJ 600's, canister filter, and HOB skimmer and I could probably use some more powerheads but it just looks too cluttered in such a little tank. I am keeping temps consistently around 80-82 F, but my lights have a built in fan to keep them cool. This probably helps a lot.

My PC's came with fans. They help a lot. The temp of the room could ultimately contribute a great deal to the temp of the tank. If you have an evap cooler on your house, and it gets humid outside to like 80% humidity, the cooler doesn't work hardly at all. Check up on that before leaving it to defective powerhead.
Although, I (half comically) put a maxijet 1200 into a 10 gallon, cyano attack you know, and it raised the temp about 3 degrees. (its only ten gallons though so i think i'd be more surprised if it didnt raise the temp.)

Back