Power outage question

prthd

Reefing newb
Ok im new here and to the hobby im still cycling, tank is almost 3 weeks old. whats if i loose power. during a thunderstorm.

How long do you lose power? Some people use computer battery back ups for their esential stuff, pump, heater, circulators. Or, you can opt to get a generator. I picked up one off a job site for cheap and it runs most of my house, fish tank first of course. :D

All it will cause is your pumps and lights and electrical systems to turn off. It wont harm your system if its off for one day. You will have a problem if it is off for longer. So dont worry :)

but you just need to make sure your takn isnt overfilled. IF it is, when your return pump turns off, your refugium will overflow. Other than that, power outages shouldnt be too much of an issue in the short term

i live in ohio and we have been having some bad storms. its freaking doing nuts out the now. lightening thunder rain.

If the power is out, every few minutes, you can circulate the water manually to generate flow and oxygen. If it's out for too long, you'll have to find some sort of method to keep the water at a steady temp.

I would suggest a generator if you think you might go dark for over 8 hrs or so. Dont forget the generator will run your computer, fridge, lights, tv, whaterver, if you can swing it.

Yeah, just take a cup, scoop out some water, and pour it back in a few times to just get more oxygen in there, but it's really not necessary if it's only for a couple of hours or so. What you have to worry about is if it's winter and the tank gets cold too fast. Hence why bigger tanks are better :D Cuz it keeps the temp more stabilized for longer.

+1 all the above.

This time of year,the main thing to worry about is gas exchange.Water thats not moving,has no way to get rid of the CO2 and take in oxygen.So as long you can move the water every hour or so,it'll be fine.
But a good generator is a good investment.

Yesterday, during our 2 hour power outage. we hooked up one of our K4's on a backup battery....the powerhead did not get enough power to run it...it would turn, but not kick in. So I don't think backup battery would be enough to run a powerhead anyway, unless you get a more powerful one.

+1 Dcan about getting a battery powered air pump...good thing to use. Didn't someone here do that?

A temperature fluctuation of more than 3F in 24 hours will stress fish --you need circulation to ensure that your heater will keep ALL the water at the same temperature. Circulation will also keep gas exchange going as Yote said. Keep flow and heater going if you can.

You might try an auto inverter and use it to keep your heater and an air pump going --this is a cheap method. A water pump will probably not run off an auto inverter because it does not produce sine wave power.

Back