Power Outage

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I know there are probably man variables to this question. But how long do you think a reef tank could without power?

the bigger the tank, the longer the water will stay oxygenated. A 125 will last about 10 hours, maybe 12. After that time, if the power is still out, the water needs to be aggitated to put oxygen back. Empty out the sump and dump it back it (with you acting like the return pump) several times an hour. Grab a plastic spatula and get to stirring the water as well.

Many people have small generators available for their prized tanks (I have one on my list) to make sure they can keep the powerheads going during a long lasting outtage. The tank can last a week without a UV sterilizer or a skimmer, but not long without oxygen

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I'm not sure but not long if left alone.A theory I wouldn't want to test.With no water movement not only oxygen is depleted but salt will start to sink near the bottom.I remember an ice storm along time ago when I was in an apartment.I was franticly stirring and trying to keep the tank warm.Now I have a power generator for those rare occasions,hope it still works.

Another thing about loosing power,thus water movment.Without the flow the corals can smother themselves in their slime.

Depends on the temp. I lost power for 7 days in the midst of winter and lost heat. I noticed problems starting in 3-4 hours. I got a generator on day two and only ended up loosing two corals and a fish. I did my best using hot water to keep the tank somewhat warm the first day. If it's 75-85 F (sorry don't have the conversion offhand) and you have a battery powered air pump or two it probably could survive for a week or two without major problems.

The reason I am asking is because ocasionally my GFCI likes to trip for no apparent reason, and I am kind of worried when I leave on vacation for a week in November. But there will be someone that will be watching my tank each day that I am gone. I don't know if I should go without a GFCI for that week or take a chance of it tripping overnight?

hmmm. up 2 u. I don't have my tank hooked up to a fancy outlet like that. havent fryed myself yet.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

What about a battery back up for a PC? I plan on putting one in for "a just in case" emergency.... I found a 8 hour model....

Or one big enough to keep a pump running for a few hours to keep some water moving...

The reason I am asking is because ocasionally my GFCI likes to trip for no apparent reason, and I am kind of worried when I leave on vacation for a week in November. But there will be someone that will be watching my tank each day that I am gone. I don't know if I should go without a GFCI for that week or take a chance of it tripping overnight?

Pumps can sometimes cause what is called a nuciance trip. Nothing is wrong but because the design of the pump and the gfi, It could be happening here. I think you would be fine for the week without a gfi since I doubt you would want the person taking care of the tank rearranging anything. But I also agree with every one else you should try to find the cause.

Are your PH's on a wave maker? maybe the constant switching is causing the gfi to trip.

Brian

They have only tripped once, I have also heard that the lights could cause it to trip. I think I will just not use them when I am on vacation.

Back