Power outage

Another option would be a wind mill.They are a lot cheaper than solar panels,and cloudy days dont cut the juice.

I am getting my diy ups setup as we speak. 1kw inverter with auto transfer switch and a 225ah battery. I'm lucky I get this stuff at cost and I got the battery for free.
Yote I have got to say windmills suck! I work in RE, and have seen tons of broken windmills, not to mention you still need batteries and an external diversion load otherwise the windmill could go nuts and fry all your electrical.

Another option would be a wind mill.

Dear Homeowners' Association,

I'd like to inform you of my plans to set up a windmill in my backyard. Hope you don't mind!

Thanks!
Homeowner
======================
Dear Homeowner...

Yeah....riiiiiiiight. You may save on electricity, but you'll end up paying more in association fines!

Sincerely,
Homeowner's Association

Dear Riverside County: I am putting up a windmill despite your laws re: windmill height cannot exceed 1/3 of the distance to any property boundary.

My property is 40'x50', which makes for one SHORT windmill! My HOA wouldn't have to bother fining me, the county would save them the trouble. How are we supposed to use alternative, clean energy sources when our own government restricts it to the point where its useless to even try?
+1 Simpleman-- nanosolar is already printing out cels on that thin plastic bendable sheeting in San Jose at 1/10th the cost of standard PV units. Too bad they're all being shipped to Germany right now... Hopefully, we'll get our hands on that stuff soon. Now would be a good time to invest in those companies IMO

Dear Homeowners' Association,

I'd like to inform you of my plans to set up a windmill in my backyard. Hope you don't mind!

Thanks!
Homeowner
======================
Dear Homeowner...

Yeah....riiiiiiiight. You may save on electricity, but you'll end up paying more in association fines!

Sincerely,
Homeowner's Association

What Homeowners Association?:mrgreen: I'm in whats considered a rural area for around here.
Plus I'm outside the city limits.:D by about 5 miles (wouldnt hurt my feeling if it was 100 miles).

Dear Homeowners Association,

KISS MY ASS ILL DO WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT ITS MY FREAKING PROPERTY. Thanks have a nice day.

Ryan

Nope you can have your gated communities and all that other horsecrap. Id rather live in a trailer park than a place where I had to Ok the color I paint my house with a commitee or tell me how many cars I can have in my driveway. Piss on all that.

LOL In northern virginia, a lot of areas have homeowners. Mine's not as strict, but there's one neighborhood a couple miles down the road and their homeowners is so strict that you get notices if they can see your trashbin peeking from the side of the house!! (no joke! My friend got a notice cuz his trashbin could be seen ONCE from the side of the house!)

I mean really what can they do about that stuff? Can they take your house away from you or something? Fine you? How does it even work.

They can, after numerous unresponded-to fines, go into arbitration and put a lien on your property, because when you buy it, you sign agreements to all their rules. Yeah you "own" the property, but you cannot expect to paint your house hot pink and park 14 cars on your lawn on blocks and expect to have no quarrel with the HOA

Yeah I think its the over the top rules that get people. Like not having even one car parked outside on the street. Not allowed to have satellite dishes.....crap like that....I didn't buy a home to come home and be micro managed....

I mean really what can they do about that stuff? Can they take your house away from you or something? Fine you? How does it even work.

Put a lien against the property. Then when you go to sell the house, they take a cut for the amount of the lien. And good luck trying to get any sort of credit with a lien against your property in the meantime.

JAG, the costs/benefits of solar are dependent on the state. In Arizona, we get a state and federal tax credit for doing so. You can outfit your entire house with panels and make a profit every month for less than 10K in costs. The utility company is required to buy back any excess power you produce at retail value. I know several people in Tucson and Phoenix that put solar panels on their roofs. They paid for themselves within 2 years. One guy I know that has a 3 bedroom 2 bath house gets a $200 check from the power company every month.

California sounds like it's different, but it's very profitable and affordable in Arizona. I would recommend everyone check out their individual states before deciding against solar panels.

They sell auto inverters that could be used to keep you tank running.

Yeah,....the thought did cross my mind to plug at least my pumps into my car converter....hehehe.

As for liens on your home, it's true. When we bought this house, we figured the previous owner never paid their HOA fees cuz they had a HUGE lien on the house. They had been here for 5 years (they were first owners), and they owed a few thousand in back hoa fees. They were morons anyway...one of those people who will live in the cheapest ghetto apartment, but have a brand spankin' new Escalade.

Wow Biff, sounds like AZ has their...stuff together for solar. Which is awesome because you guys probably have the best real estate in the country to take full advantage of solar.

Back