Power Outage

dvong

Reefing newb
I just found out that the entire street in my community is without power and will be so for at least another 2 hours. It is a pretty hot day today in Charlotte NC. If the tank gets very hot, I'm going to lose my clowns and probably my corals right?

How hot can it get before its too dangerous for the fish and corals?

What do people have in place for power outages when you're not home?

Thanks,
Concerned newbie

If its only out for two hours, wouldnt be too worried.
But those of us that have power outs reg, use a generator.

Why would the tank get hot if the heaters are off due to the power outage? :shock: I doubt it will overheat. People in AZ don't use chillers , and their tanks don't overheat.

Why would the tank get hot if the heaters are off due to the power outage? :shock: I doubt it will overheat. People in AZ don't use chillers , and their tanks don't overheat.

Because if the power is out, the house's AC isn't working, and the room is heating up.

If my power goes out, I'm afraid my tank would heat up very quickly. We had the AC off the other night because we had the windows open, and forgot to turn it on the next morning when we shut all the windows. My house was 90 when I got home, and my tank was in the high 80s!

Because if the power is out, the house's AC isn't working, and the room is heating up.

If my power goes out, I'm afraid my tank would heat up very quickly. We had the AC off the other night because we had the windows open, and forgot to turn it on the next morning when we shut all the windows. My house was 90 when I got home, and my tank was in the high 80s!

I have the same problem with my house. For some reason the heat gets trapped in the living room more so than the rest of the rooms and if I leave the windows open, even on nice 60 or 70 degree days my tank will still jump into the high 80s. So I always have to watch it. But I would think if it got that hot in the tank and it was only for an hr or two and you brought it back down right away then it wouldn't hurt everything too much. But that's just a guess. I'm still new to all this lol

I think you would do more damage if you suddenly brought the temp down. Large fast swings are dangerous, gentle changes are less so.

Just freeze some water bottles and float them in the tank if you notice the temp going up.

Ya know, I never would have thought of doing that with the water bottles. Lol. I just always used a fan. But if there's no power that actually makes sense. Great idea!

Ah I didn't think they would get hot enough. But then again, my tank's in the basement -- the coolest part of my house even w/o a/c on.

That's probably the most ideal place to keep em. Wish I still had my basement. Now I just have a house in hot annoying Texas lol. And with it going over 100 every day lately my tank would be cussing me out if it could hehe I'm constantly having to find ways to keep it cool.

I had no choice but to put it in my basement because I did not trust this skimpy construction (like most new houses build nowadays are) to hold my 125g. Plus with kids running around all day and jumping and thumping, I didn't want the vibration to stress the fish.

Yea makes sense. I eventually want to get a 200 gal tank (or somewhere in there) and make it a predator tank. When that happens I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that I either have a basement or some really good supports in my floor lol

Back